3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

2005 ram 5.7l NO START PLEASE HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2011, 07:45 AM
bigwillie8989
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005 ram 5.7l NO START PLEASE HELP!

ok i feel like an idiot asking this as i have a feeling what the issue might be but im gonna ask anyway. truck was running great until 2 days ago. i drove to work and when i got off i go to get in it and go home and when i try to start it i hear a rapid clicking sound. after fiddling with the terminals(which i have since replaced) i got it to start(barely) and limped home and parked it. now all it does is this rapid clicking whenever i try to start it. any ideas what the issue might be? any help would be appreciated as this is the first dodge i have owned and i LOVE this truck.

Old 09-21-2011, 09:27 AM
Marklorenzo
Veteran

First off, Welcome to the forum.

I would start with a new battery (making sure all connections to + and - are secure) If your battery has water terminals you need to fill them. Turn the ignition key to accessory. Turn the windshield wiper “ON” and let the wiper operates for about 30 seconds. If the wiper operates very slowly and not the usual speed then we can say that there is a problem with the battery. But, if the wiper operates normally then it’s not a battery problem but rather a problem that involve the starter.The battery obviously is not keeping charge, so you may need an alternator.

Old 09-21-2011, 12:12 PM
stenerson
Veteran

Battery or starter

Old 09-21-2011, 08:48 PM
Caseys-dodge
Veteran

If you have stores like autozone or advance auto parts nearby they can test your battery and alternator for free still in the truck. I think they can test starters too but they might have to be removed... I always thought when you got the clicking noise it was a bad battery, but for some reasons these Rams do funky stuff with a dead battery, like pop up the security light and set off the factory alarms lol.

Quick Reply: 2005 ram 5.7l NO START PLEASE HELP!