3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Exhaust question

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2011, 12:13 PM
EJaquez82
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exhaust question

I recently had both resanators and stock muffler removed off of my 2006 big horn HEMI and went with the standard single 3" pipe with a Magnaflow muffler and I wanted to know if that will have enough back pressure? when I did this I want better torque and a good sound but mainly more performance. did I hurt my performance by doing this?

Last edited by EJaquez82; 09-29-2011 at 12:18 PM.
Old 09-29-2011, 01:33 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

I'm sure your over-all torque increased, but probably moved up a tad in the rpm band. So you'll feel less way down low in the rpm band but feel more in the mid to higher rpms.

Contrary to belief, backpressure isn't good, it's pure out engine inefficiency because the engine must work harder to expell exhaust gases and can't let in as much air/fuel because of the volume the exhaust gases take up. Yeah, because the engine must work harder at low rpms to expel these gases you "feel" more power down low, but a free flowing intake/exhaust will net you more gains over-all, increase fuel economy and extend the life of the engine...

Old 10-03-2011, 12:42 AM
Shawnu

how loud would you say it is?
im catless and have 1 resonator and a muffler (i dont know what kind, no labeling and it came on the truck) and turndown before the axle. ive been thinking of going louder, just not sure yet

Old 10-03-2011, 07:02 AM
wink2873
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

not the backpressure debate again. Honestly, I dont think doing anything short of cutting off the whole exhaust after the manifolds would do anything to hurt it or make any difference worth noting.

Old 10-03-2011, 10:06 PM
EJaquez82

it actully sounds great not to loud but just enough for me, BUT I can hear the drone noise everyone talks about but to me its not to bad. But like I said I was looking for more performance then sound The gentleman also told me that Flowmaster is more for sound and he recomendes Magnaflow.

Old 10-04-2011, 10:33 AM
nateroach
Veteran

You will be fine as far as "back pressure" as others have hinted towards this is a widely debated topic that is a regular question. it's really about velocity and laminar flow of the exhaust through the tubes, not actually back pressure. People just associate smaller tubes with higher back pressure, when in fact it is higher velocity and better laminar flow.

There are very few things that you could do with the exhaust that will have negative impacts on performance by having less restrictions.

Magnaflow >>Flowmaster all day any day

nateroach

Old 10-04-2011, 11:43 AM
EJaquez82

nateroach- in your opinon why do you prefer Flowmaster compared to Magnaflow?

Old 10-04-2011, 05:26 PM
nateroach
Veteran

^^
> means greater than

Magnaflow >> Flowmaster
=
Magnaflow much better than Flowmaster

Quick Reply: Exhaust question