3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

does anybody make a 5.7 ram air kit?

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2011, 10:11 AM
brusk
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default does anybody make a 5.7 ram air kit?

I see plenty of people with either the factory or aftermarket ram air hoods but do not see any ram air box kits for them. I would imagine somebody made something as it should have been easy to do since the throttle body sits so far back on the RAM version of the 5.7 intake.

Old 10-05-2011, 01:59 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Every true scooped and shaker hood for the Ram offers a true Ram Air as an option, I'm sure most would sell one by itself.

I'm in the process of making one myself. I just have to get my a$$ up to the barn in Georgia where most of my tools and equipment is. Since I have the scoop, it'll be a simple matter to cut out the hood and re-route my existing CAI into the scoop with about $3 of PVC and a $2 45* elbow...

Old 10-06-2011, 10:22 PM
Neb
Rookie

I did a DIY ram air on my 04 hemi. I made a cold air intake using PVC pipe and a Spectre filter, just like shown on this forum. I then ran a 3" flexible dryer duct tube (kinda stiff one from home depot...$9 for 8') from the fog light hole to the front of the Spectre filter. Looks pretty good. Of course, if you have fog lights, you would have to find another source of rammed-air. Good luck on your project!

Old 10-07-2011, 12:09 AM
truckin151
Grand Champion

if you pay the $$ vararam is a true ram air CAI

Old 10-07-2011, 02:13 PM
xtremedurb00
Rookie

The Volant CAI are good and they have an attachment that goes from the top of the CAI to the SRT10 style hood scoop. Also, check out airram.com...They have a Jet Stream Ram Air scoop that funnels the air from the grille area to behind the passenger head light. It doesn't run all the way to the air box and it does direct outside air to that area.

Old 10-07-2011, 02:43 PM
SLT8
Record Breaker

There is a Vararam on eBay with no reserve.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/?cmd=...%3AMESELX%3AIT

Old 10-08-2011, 09:50 AM
xtremedurb00
Rookie

100 bucks and 3 hours left. Somebody should jump on that...

Old 10-08-2011, 01:31 PM
brusk

Originally Posted by xtremedurb00
The Volant CAI are good and they have an attachment that goes from the top of the CAI to the SRT10 style hood scoop. Also, check out airram.com...They have a Jet Stream Ram Air scoop that funnels the air from the grille area to behind the passenger head light. It doesn't run all the way to the air box and it does direct outside air to that area.
The Volant doesn't look to bad but thats alot of clutter that I feel could be avoided if somebody made an airbox that goes on top of the engine and gets fed directly from the SRT10 style hood scoop. As fare as the Vararam i honestly feel that is a joke compared to the more professional looking options they have for the other makes. Other than the Orange air cleaner look that some would like the hosed method on that is a joke especially when it shows a 1500 with the SRT10 hood. I did like the Jet Stream Ram Air Scoop intake if I decide not to go with the hood. But in the end I will probably take some measurements and scour the junk yard to find an airbox that would be close to modify and go from there.

Old 10-08-2011, 01:41 PM
xtremedurb00
Rookie

If you liked the way the Jet Stream Scoop looked...You could always get some sheet metal and use the scoop and then behind the passenger light, use the sheet metal and make it funnel the air all the way to your air box. I have 4" exhaust tubing ran down the front of the wheel well with a brake duct scoop at the end sitting and about a 45 degree angle to the ground.

Old 10-08-2011, 06:08 PM
truckin151
Grand Champion

Originally Posted by brusk
The Volant doesn't look to bad but thats alot of clutter that I feel could be avoided if somebody made an airbox that goes on top of the engine and gets fed directly from the SRT10 style hood scoop. As fare as the Vararam i honestly feel that is a joke compared to the more professional looking options they have for the other makes. Other than the Orange air cleaner look that some would like the hosed method on that is a joke especially when it shows a 1500 with the SRT10 hood. I did like the Jet Stream Ram Air Scoop intake if I decide not to go with the hood. But in the end I will probably take some measurements and scour the junk yard to find an airbox that would be close to modify and go from there.
Really? the vararam dropped my times a tenth in the 1/4 over my old afe setup. The vararam and the BFI are two of the top intakes you can get performance wise, so if they are a joke I'd like to see whats "better".

You also really cant use the scoop on the SRT hood as a ram air hood, it wasnt designed as a ramair hood, it sucks hot air out of the engine bay not push air in.

Quick Reply: does anybody make a 5.7 ram air kit?