3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Silly dealership parts people

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2011, 08:34 PM
Ben D.
Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Silly dealership parts people

So I needed to pick up some fluids for my truck. wanted to top off my PS fluid, and Coolant reservoir. I decided to go to the dealer since not many places around here carry ATF+4 or the HOAT antifreeze the truck calls for.. I had read a few things about HOAT is actually dexcool from GM but I'm not willing to risk it over saving a few dollars.. Maybe if I was doing a full system flush and needed a lot.. either way.

So go into the parts place asked for what I needed.. Gallon of Hoat 50/50 if you have it or full strength if not.. and a quart of ATF+4. Just being casual I mention how almost everything uses this ATF on the truck.. and that this was for power steering.. He tells me I'm incorrect and it's not ATF+4 but it's something else.. Shows me a bottle of Power steering +4... instead of 8 bucks for a quart it's almost 10 dollars for 16 oz. So I tell him look the manual in the truck says explicitly ATF+4 so let me see both bottles.. I then laugh and inform him that the PS+4 is merely ATF+4 with the price jacked up.. Each bottle had the chrysler
MS9602 tech spec for ATF+4 on it.. meaning both are the same exact product merely one is over twice the price. He tried to tell me the PS+4 was "more synthetic" than the regular ATF..

I just found it funny either way that chrysler openly tries to rip off customers with that.. Literally is the exact same fluid just different bottle and twice the cost..

Old 10-07-2011, 10:46 PM
Caseys-dodge
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

These dang big companies will do whatever they can to sucker people who may not know better out of as much money as they can it seems Corporate greed is out of control.
(I'll throw in my own quickie before I had the dodge) I was at autozone and needed just a little bit of coolant after an overheating problem on the road. Well they had a gallon of full strength coolant for (let's say) $5, and then they had a gallon of pre-mix, 50% coolant and 50% water for $7. I asked the guy "why are you charging more money for the bottle with less antifreeze?" I guess it was just a "convenience charge."

Quick Reply: Silly dealership parts people