3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

polished wheel maintenance ? and renewal tips

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2011, 01:00 AM
waynofish
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default polished wheel maintenance ? and renewal tips

First thing first. Now that I brought my wheels back, do I need to do the whole polishing rutine all the time or will a monthly wax work. I don't want to let them go Like I did before.

Now about polishing my rims. I have the procomps and have been cursing them since the second month I've had them. Pitting and oxidizing. I could not understand how the aluminum tower and railing on the sportfish boats I work on can hold up immaculate with a light wax every couple month's going through the salt torture they go through but a set of truck rims start pitting after a month. After 3 years they were bad and I was pricing new wheels. I looked up reconditioning on the internet and decided to give it a try.

I cleaned the grime off and started wet sanding with 400. Rims were now scratched up bad but the pitting (which really wasn't as bad as I thought) came off. Then I continude wet sanding with 600, 800, and 1000. The scratches were comming off by then and the wheels were starting to shine. Continued with 1200, 1500, and finished with 2000. Then I bought a powerball for the drill and used a compound first and then finished with mother's mag/aluminum polish. The wheels look new again. They have that chrome like shine brought back. I didn't believe it was possible. Cost me about $70, so considerably cheaper then new wheels. Looking back I could have eliminated the 400 and the 1200 grit. It took about 1 1/2 hours of wet sanding/rinsing/wet sanding/and on/and on...per wheel to get them to the polishing stage.

I figgured I'd post this in case someone thinks their polished wheels are beyond hope like I did. That allowed me to get a set of 4 cooper STT's instead of just 2 BFG AT's to replace my worn ones.

Old 11-19-2011, 10:14 AM
dfskinner
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

waynofish thanks for sharing the info.....

I have a couple of small white spots on one of my rims.... anyone know how to get rid of them? Other than those spots the rims look awesome..... I'll post some pic's....

Quick Reply: polished wheel maintenance ? and renewal tips