3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Need Rough Country 6" lift advice

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2011, 07:50 AM
drum_rat
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Rough Country 6" lift advice

I've got an 06 1500 QC 4x4. I don't offroad much at all just maybe a couple times a year lightly while hunting. Other than that, I only ever use my 4x4 in ice or snow in the mountains when I go snowboarding.

Can somebody tell me anything about the 6" Rough Country suspension lift for the 06-08 1500's?

I've searched everywhere (including 3 forums) and it doesn't seem to be very popular at all. In fact, i've only ever seen one picture and that was on Rough Country's website.

I'd just like to know if it will hold up to my standards since I don't offroad much.

Here's what i'm thinking......6" Rough Country,295/65/20 Nitto Trails,Flat black powder coated stock 20's with 1/4 spacer.

Any links to reveiws or pictures or info would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Old 11-22-2011, 08:38 AM
drewactual
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

RC's are solid lifts.. the parts and pieces are strong enough to hold up to moderate off-roading.. the issues, if any, are:

- coil springs are known to sag over time..
- being a cheaper lift, you have to pry, push, hammer, and argue with the alignment of some of the parts and pieces to get them to fit.. the better systems line right up and bolt right in... an RC isn't machined so precisely.. we're only talking slight bolt off-centers, but it is significant enough to require effort..

Old 11-22-2011, 11:56 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

I have NO experience with Rough Country lifts on trucks or that much experience on coil-over IFS trucks for that matter. Almost everything I've done is on SFA vehicles (trucks and Jeeps) and torsion front IFS trucks.

But I will say that in the Jeep community, Rough Country is looked upon as bargain-basement stuff...

Old 11-23-2011, 08:21 AM
drum_rat

Excellent, thanks!

So maybe the Zone 6" would be more solid and mabye line up better? It's only $300 more than the RC 6".

I just don't want to spend $1500 or more for a 6" suspension that isn't going to get put to the test.

Any other advice/reviews/info would be great.

Old 11-23-2011, 02:52 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

With IFS truck suspension lifts, the more stock components they replace, the better. Some of the better kits will come with bigger, beefier tie rods, ends, etc. As a rule these will hold up better over time than cheaper kits that do not. Also, better kits will include drop brackets to keep the geometry close to stock levels - this is CRITICAL when dealing with CV shafts as they weaken considerably as their angle increases.

Over the years, I've found when it comes to suspension lift kits - you get what you pay for. Get the best kit you can afford...

Old 11-23-2011, 02:55 PM
officerdan3
Default posting help

Can someone tell me how to post a new question on this site? I just joined the site and can't figure it out.

Old 11-23-2011, 08:05 PM
olyelr
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by officerdan3
Can someone tell me how to post a new question on this site? I just joined the site and can't figure it out.

Just click on the "new thread" button at the top left of the appropriate forum page. And welcome to the site.

Quick Reply: Need Rough Country 6" lift advice