3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

p0404 egr code a few hrs after superchips install?

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2011, 05:42 PM
vikingdiesel
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default p0404 egr code a few hrs after superchips install?

So i just installed the superchips and set it to TOW mode since i was towing a car 400 miles away and a whooping 9.8mpg, it was a total of 7k lbs though including trailer, i figure this was a bad time to determine how good the chip is for mpg since the heavy tow, well after about 300 miles of highway driving, check engine came on and it was a p0404 egr code, i cleared it and it hasnt come on since, could it be a bad egr valve or was it some glitch with the superchips?

Old 12-03-2011, 06:36 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

It's very common for an EGR to fail intermittently as it's beginning to go out. Heavy load would have also put more emissions through it. How many miles on this EGR?

I would say it's more related to the age of the EGR and the added strain of the heavy tow than it would be related to the tune.

You are running 91+ octane gas with the tow tune, aren't you???

Old 12-03-2011, 07:03 PM
Rio94gt
Professional

Plus doesnt it take a few hundred miles for your computer to learn the superchips tune? I towed a car once before my superchips and got 12 MPG. Car and trailer was 5500 or so.

Old 12-03-2011, 08:02 PM
vikingdiesel
Veteran

Yes, 93 octance and 70k on the egr, it really takes 500 miles? I just switched it to performance mode since im not towing today, but will switch back to tow tomorrow when i tow again, im going to get thst fuel additive you told me about at walmart, star tron tomorrow or at least try to find it

Old 12-03-2011, 08:36 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Your EGR is on it's way out. Average useful life of one is about 30k - 50k miles, although they often go longer than that without generating a CEL, buy the time they get to the point they pop a code, they've been costing you power and fuel economy for thousands of miles.

Expect to see the code pop again before too long and it'll probably happen more and more often until it just stays on or pops right back on after you clear it.

Go spend you the $30 at the auto parts store and pop it in. Takes 10 minutes and you'll probably make up the cost in fuel savings in just a few months...

Old 12-03-2011, 10:06 PM
vikingdiesel
Veteran

i got the star tron, its the fuel additive one for like $9, right? They have a few products, says for 2 and 4 stroke motors, pretty much all gas motors, right?

Quick Reply: p0404 egr code a few hrs after superchips install?