3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

CAI or Dual exhaust?

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2011, 10:31 AM
Eisengott
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CAI or Dual exhaust?

Christmas budget is only allowing one or the other( I will get the other in feb). Which would you guys do? Flowmasters or CAI? I know the benifits of the dual, what are the pros of the CAI?

Old 12-08-2011, 10:47 AM
04HemiGreg
Record Breaker

CAI = more horsepower. I don't have one as I feel I have plenty of horses. I have exhaust for the sound - that's it. I know, on motorcycles, it is typical to upgrade the air intake when you upgrade the exhaust. For one thing, with free flowing "loud pipes", on EFI Harleys at least, it can push the AF sensors need for more air coming in out of range and make the bike run like crap. I think cars and trucks are more forgiving and adaptable and don't need both to run well but probably better to upgrade both for any real performance enhancement.

If I were deciding between the two, I'd upgrade the exhaust first and CAI later. But it's really your call.

Old 12-08-2011, 10:59 AM
Eisengott
Amateur

I am happy with the hp for now. The exhaust would be nice, especially since it would provide some immediate gratification.

Old 12-08-2011, 12:04 PM
04HemiGreg
Record Breaker

Yep, it's nice to let that V8 growl a little bit. I had straight duals on my old 5.9 and it sounded great but was just too damn loud. My Gibson has the right sound and decibel level for my taste. My plan is to hand over the truck to my son, though, and I've already been informed that it's not loud enough for him.

Old 12-08-2011, 12:13 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Not a fan of Flowmasters and yes, I've had them. Sound great but the chambered design that makes them sound great really sucks for performance. Plus they tend to rust out VERY quickly unless you spend the jack for the stainless ones.

IMO there are mufflers out there that sound just as good (some better) that don't impede exhaust flow. If you're gonna ditch the stock muffler at least get one with a significantly better CFM rate - and ditch the crappy, stock "Y" pipe.

As far as CAIs go, unless you are gonna go TRUE CAI like a Vararam or similar (BIG $$$), then make your own out of $15 in materials (plus the cost of the filter), as they have the same gains as one you'll pay up to $300 for. LOTS of threads on this, do a search. A CAI has modest gains (very modest) by itself, but when combined with other mods like ported throttle bodies, heads, aggressive cams, headers and better flowing exhaust is when the true benefit of having a CAI is recognized...

Last edited by HammerZ71; 12-08-2011 at 12:16 PM.
Old 12-08-2011, 03:07 PM
Eisengott
Amateur

I am happy with the HP, I really only want to enhance the performance of the engine (by makeing it run better not faster) I was just considering putting a K&N filter on it and decided maybe I should look into a CAI. Not interested in changing many stock geatures unless it prolongs the lif of the vehicle

Old 12-08-2011, 03:42 PM
04HemiGreg
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by Eisengott
I am happy with the HP, I really only want to enhance the performance of the engine (by makeing it run better not faster) I was just considering putting a K&N filter on it and decided maybe I should look into a CAI. Not interested in changing many stock geatures unless it prolongs the lif of the vehicle
If you search old threads in this forum, you'll probably see where I was looking at the same options at one point in time. I just dropped a K&N in it. But, to be honest, there was no realized power gain or mileage increase. But it sure is nice to just pull it out and clean it now and then and not have to go buy a new one. I think the auto stores around here keep a list of the vehicles I own and make a point to not stock parts to fit them. If I go in there looking something more than a quart of oil or a wiper blade, they have to order it.

If you aren't looking to make a hotrod out of it, make sure the filter is clean and put some duals on it that will make you smile when you hit the gas. You've been bitten by the mod-bug, it happens to all of us. But chances are, you'll be happy leaving it at that.

Old 12-08-2011, 06:14 PM
Eisengott
Amateur

Think you are right Greg. I am just going to put duals on and run some injection cleaner through it.( it runs rough while idling at 500 rpm) I am also thinking installing a leveling kit so I can eventually get some bigger tires ( i like the 33's). A offroad shop wanted $400 for a kit installed. It doesnt look hard to do. A 2.5'' kit is around $100. figured I can do it myself.

Old 12-08-2011, 06:32 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

I doesnt cost much either unless you try to buy something with a name attached to it

Old 12-08-2011, 07:12 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

What year truck is this? 4x2 or 4x4?

Quick Reply: CAI or Dual exhaust?