3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Magnaflow exhaust getting on my nerves & MDS too...options?

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2012, 12:50 AM
MattE71
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Magnaflow exhaust getting on my nerves & MDS too...options?

Hi Guys,

I have a 07 Hemi 1500 QC 4x4 (40,000 miles) and it has Magnaflow exhaust with the two tips shooting out from underneath the bumper. I purchased this truck 6 months ago and the exhaust was already installed. I use to like the sound of it but now I am getting kind of sick of it. I leave very early for work in the morning and it wakes the wife up almost every time (the truck is kept in a attached garage). It doesn't help that the Hemi jumps to 1200-1500 rpm (can't remember exactly) on cold start up!

The MDS sputtering away almost all the time drives me crazy. I almost always drive the truck now in tow haul mode or overdrive off. At first I thought this truck was misfiring. It's not, the truck has been maintained to the T by it's previous owner. The MDS kick in and out all the time on the highway. Sometimes it kicks in at 5-10 mph. The Magnaflow system makes the sound of running on 4 cylinders even worse.

Any thoughts or suggestions? Can I have a stock muffler adapted to fit the Magnaflow exhaust piping?

Thanks!
Matt

Last edited by MattE71; 01-06-2012 at 12:53 AM.
Old 01-06-2012, 01:02 AM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Any muffler besides stock will resonate the MDS.

What you need is a handheld tuner that disables the MDS.
I have the Superchips tuner. It disables the MDS and I purchased the optional transmission tuning package that gives you total control of your shift points and schedules. I made a thread in the FAQ section that brings all the Superchips tuning together. Highly recc'd! Put it this way, if the truck must go back to stock, I'll assume sell it. The stock trans tuning is terrible. My truck is quick, quick quick shifting and isn't harsh at all. No pedal to the floor before shifting.

As for the rpm's jumping, yes it'll rev higher when first started. Your 1200-1500 rpm's is right on. The only way to drop the rpm's is to put it in gear, but once it goes back into park it'll rev higher for a period of a few minutes. it does slowly go down, but because of the clutch fan spinning even at cold atrt-up, it takes a little while to warm up enough to have the pcm adjust the idle.

I have the exit out the pass side in fron of the rear tire. The neighbors can hear the tone while warming up and when it's warm, it's very quiet. There is no resonance or drone on the streets or highway. Dual rear exiting catbacks ALL tend to resonate, especially if your towing a trailer!

Last edited by dirtydog; 01-06-2012 at 01:04 AM.
Old 01-06-2012, 08:32 AM
MattE71

Originally Posted by dirtydog
Any muffler besides stock will resonate the MDS.

What you need is a handheld tuner that disables the MDS.
I have the Superchips tuner. It disables the MDS and I purchased the optional transmission tuning package that gives you total control of your shift points and schedules. I made a thread in the FAQ section that brings all the Superchips tuning together. Highly recc'd! Put it this way, if the truck must go back to stock, I'll assume sell it. The stock trans tuning is terrible. My truck is quick, quick quick shifting and isn't harsh at all. No pedal to the floor before shifting.

As for the rpm's jumping, yes it'll rev higher when first started. Your 1200-1500 rpm's is right on. The only way to drop the rpm's is to put it in gear, but once it goes back into park it'll rev higher for a period of a few minutes. it does slowly go down, but because of the clutch fan spinning even at cold atrt-up, it takes a little while to warm up enough to have the pcm adjust the idle.

I have the exit out the pass side in fron of the rear tire. The neighbors can hear the tone while warming up and when it's warm, it's very quiet. There is no resonance or drone on the streets or highway. Dual rear exiting catbacks ALL tend to resonate, especially if your towing a trailer!
Thanks very much for the reply! I know what you mean by pedal to the floor before shifting, maybe that's why I am tired of the Magnaflow?! I thought the sound was cool at first but I am now done with it. I think I have two issues here. The exhaust and the sound level and then how the MDS functions with the exhaust.

So If I went with just the Superchips, I would still be waking my wife up at 5:30 am? I wonder if Magnaflow makes a muffler that would quiet down the truck? I don't want to put a factory exhaust system back on ($), it seems extreme.

Does the Superchips void the factory warranty? I have a 7 year bumper to bumper.

Old 01-06-2012, 09:21 AM
fewmopar
Rookie

I have a 06 2500 with the hemi and magnaflow muffler on it too. It got to my wife too as we tow a fifth wheel with it. What I did was have a shop install a long I think it was a 28 inch long round glass pack in front of the muffler and that did quite it down some There isnt" any resonators and I don't have the mds since its a 2500 on this truck. You might think about that

Last edited by fewmopar; 01-06-2012 at 09:24 AM.
Old 01-06-2012, 01:11 PM
buddahead
Rookie

I have a single outlet Gibson on mine and it sounds great but I experiance the mds tone also. Dirty Dog-Since I have a lifetime drivetrain warranty, would the tuner affect that?

Old 01-06-2012, 02:23 PM
Lifttruck
Rookie

Originally Posted by buddahead
I have a single outlet Gibson on mine and it sounds great but I experiance the mds tone also. Dirty Dog-Since I have a lifetime drivetrain warranty, would the tuner affect that?
Same experience here with Gibson but in a 5.9L.

Old 01-06-2012, 07:31 PM
contractors Hemi
Rookie

I assume that system replaces the stock system from the factory muffler back? What you could do as I ended up doing is have a 14 inch round magnaflow installed ahead of your current muffler, it acts as a resonator will make a Hugh difference and will not restrict flow one bit and not break the bank.

Old 01-06-2012, 11:19 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator

My catback consists of an 18" round magnaflow muffler.
If you change the muffler out to an 18" or greater Oval bodied muffler, it will reduce you db output without sacrifices flow.

disabling mds via tuner will not alter muffler tone upon start-up, idle, or normal driving. it'll only stop the helicopter resonance that mds causes when it activates because it wont activate anymore.
Dodge dealers will try to void warranty if they know about the tuner, but they legally don't have a right unless it directly caused the problem.(i.e.trans issue and you had advanced shift patterns...overly lean tune caused a hole to burn in piston..etc.) All dealers here in NY try to deny anything and everything if you so much put in a K&N air filter or aftermarket radio! it's obsurd and illegal.
If you have ANY service work done, you can reset your truck back to factory settings and the dealer will not know you installed a tune. There are no "watermarks" left for the dealer to be able to tell.

Old 01-07-2012, 01:52 PM
MattE71

I like the idea of a tuner and the benefits. As long as there isn't a chance it can be detected if I take the truck in for some warranty work.

As far as making a change to the muffler by adding another muffler or swapping for different one, I obviously want to get it right the first time, so it doesnt end up costing mire $.

Old 01-07-2012, 02:08 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator

I have the Lifetime Powertrain warranty and didn't think twice about installing a tuner. They cannot tell if you return it to stock.
The only way you would be out of waranty, if your truck broke down on the side of the road with an electrical problem and you weren't able to reset your stock parameters. I do keep my tuner inside my truck for that very reason(incase a direct tow to dealer)
However, if it's electrical, they likely won't be able to tell themselves and will likely have to replace one of the main computers(BCM, PCM, Cluster or TIPM) Any of those replacement parts would require them to do a reconfigure of your original settings and wipe your tuner program clean from the truck. This makes your tuner useless..IF that be the case and then you can just send your tuner back to Superchips and pay $125 for them to unlock it.

Quick Reply: Magnaflow exhaust getting on my nerves & MDS too...options?