3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

torsion key level cv axle solutions?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2012, 01:03 PM
carolinafan58
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default torsion key level cv axle solutions?

I have an 04 1500 QC 4x4 i put a torsion lift on it and on its maiden voyage heard the outer cv pop out. i want my truck to be somewhat dependable off road so i dont want to always have to worry about this (although nothing beats a solid axle). my question is could i drop the differential about an inch to help with the angle of the cv? if i did this would i also need to do something with the tranny? does anyone make a kit to do this or would i just have to get some 1" spacers? thanks yall

Old 01-11-2012, 01:14 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Yes, it's called a proper Suspension Lift Kit...

There are a few that will SAFELY lift the truck 4 - 6" and include all the sub-frame/cross-members and bracketry to accomplish lift without putting the CV axles at a poor angle...

Old 01-11-2012, 01:29 PM
carolinafan58

i understand that and believe me its next on my list but im looking for a low cost temporary solution to the problem.

Old 01-11-2012, 01:41 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator

Nothing I know of unless you can pick up odd parts from a suspension kit manufacturer or can fab your own.

At the expense of alienating a LOT of guys who have "level kits", IMO they are a poor man's solution to being able to clear larger tires. If not done to extreme (2" MAX) you can get by with them for "looks" but for any type of serious use, they put the CVs at poor angles which weakens them considerably, as well as put more stress on other components like ball joints and tie rods.

I'd never blame a guy for doing a mild level and even coupling it with an inexpensive body lift to achieve a look he wants while not spending much money - but the right way to lift the suspension is with a true kit.

I've "leveled" trucks in my day, but they were SFA trucks, hell I ran my Jeep for two years with coil spacers at all four corners and ran it hard, but again, it's a SFA vehicle...

Old 01-11-2012, 02:12 PM
carolinafan58

heard anything about rough country lifts? if i get a 4" suspension i shouldnt have to worry about longer drive shafts or anything right?

Old 01-11-2012, 03:57 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator

I know in the Jeep world Rough Country is considered pretty low end and I don't personally know anybody with one on their truck, but around this forum quite a few guys have opted for it as a budget minded kit and I've not read of any problems.

As a rule, the more stock components the kit replaces and the stronger the frame it comes with to build off of, the better (stronger) the kit. But with more components and a full sub-frame as opposed to just a cross-member, the more the kit is gonna cost. I'd recommend the best kit you can afford...

Old 01-12-2012, 06:54 AM
carolinafan58

yea i know what you mean. I went with BDS on my CJ5. I found a guy on craigslist selling a 4" rough country in an unopened box for $800 thats a pretty good deal I think. that includes shocks and the skid plate.

Quick Reply: torsion key level cv axle solutions?