3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

I think I have decided. Please chime in !!

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2012, 10:02 PM
HEMI1980
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking I think I have decided. Please chime in !!

Below are the parts I would like to upgrade to my truck. And yes I have had a few threads and someone of you have been nice enough to help me out. But I think all in all after calling the manufactures tech guys direct I think I know what I want to do. So please give your 2 cents, or 5 cents for that matter and let me know what you think, what I might should expect, and why I should or shouldnt go a certain way....So Below is the decisions.

***Vehicle is a 2005 DODGE RAM 1500 2WD RC SB HEMI***

1. HEADER UPGRADE - GIBSON MODEL #GP311SC STAINLESS STEEL CERAMIC COATED LOG HEADERS.

2. EXHAUST UPGRADE - FLOWMASTER AMERICAN THUNDER MODEL #817397 (STAINLESS STEEL) SIDE EXIT VERSION

3. REPLACE FLOW MASTER MUFFLER WITH CHERRY BOMB EXTREME MUFFLER MODEL #7427

4. LOWER TRUCK WITH MCGAUGHYS LOWERING KIT MODEL #44003

Q#1 - Do you think I will encouter any loss in exhaust velocity ?
Q#2 - Will that exhaust still fit on my lowered truck with a flip kit lowering kit ?

Cant wait to hear reponses !!! :-)

Thanks,

Matthew

Old 02-16-2012, 11:07 PM
gHEMImorePower
All Star

I have a cherry bomb extreme on my lifted ram and it sounds awesome! It's not going to scrape unless your going to go "slammed" and even then it still shoudn't. I know this because I have the flowmaster Super 10's which are very similar, on my 1978 firebird, I was advised not to do that because it was supposed to scrape. I still had em installed and now I know that there's a better chance of scraping my radio on the street while driving. Also, my friend has a bagged eclipse that is completly slammed, well almost, and his muffler is one of those goofy ricer ones that I don't really like and it's never scraped. Hope this is helpful.

Old 02-16-2012, 11:16 PM
HEMI1980
Professional

I am not so much worried about the muffler as I am the rear piping for the exhuast pipes. Due to the fact that on a flip kit the leaf springs are flipped to under the axle rather then over it. And I am wondering if that will affect the fitting of the flowmaster pipes.

Old 02-17-2012, 11:24 AM
Brandon Anderson
All Star

Why would you purchase a rustmaster exhaust and then replace it with a Cherry Bomb? Why not purchase just the Cherry Bomb?

Old 02-17-2012, 02:57 PM
HEMI1980
Professional

Because the cherry bomb only makes a system for my truck with the Vortex, and I want the extreme series. Also they dont offer split dual side exits, cherry bomb only goes straight back exhaust exit. Why do you say rustmaster ? The model I chose is stainless.

Old 02-17-2012, 03:01 PM
Brandon Anderson
All Star

Rustmaster is the common name for any "flowmaster" here on the forums. They flow no better than stock (and sometimes flow worse), so we don't call them by their MFG name. The point I was trying to drive across, is why not just purchase the muffler you want, and have it installed with the piping and exits you want at a muffler shop? It would be exactly like you want it, and probably be cheaper to boot.

Old 02-17-2012, 03:50 PM
HEMI1980
Professional

Well I am def open to suggestions. I did talk to a few muffler shops today on the phone and "ALL" of them suggested to buy a pre made system. The shops said that the dual split side exits are such a tight fit with the mandrel bending that they dont do it. If I am going to you a cherry bomb muffler, and really just want the pre done piping what do you suggest ? But remember alot of the airflow is based off the muffler, because once the muffler is gone its just stainless steel pipes. The CHERRY BOMB extreme has amazing flow and sound.

Trending Topics

Old 02-17-2012, 04:00 PM
HEMI1980
Professional

OK I need someone to speak up on the headers. I am looking at the GIBSON because they seem to meet the requirements I want (stainless & ceramic coated) and obviously inexpensive. But I am getting feed back that the log header by gibson isnt going to do teh hemi justice. Someone please tell me where I can get a shorty header, stainless, with a cermaic coating for UNDER $700!!! $700 just seems nutz.

Old 02-17-2012, 04:14 PM
Brandon Anderson
All Star

Originally Posted by HEMI1980
Well I am def open to suggestions. I did talk to a few muffler shops today on the phone and "ALL" of them suggested to buy a pre made system. The shops said that the dual split side exits are such a tight fit with the mandrel bending that they dont do it. If I am going to you a cherry bomb muffler, and really just want the pre done piping what do you suggest ? But remember alot of the airflow is based off the muffler, because once the muffler is gone its just stainless steel pipes. The CHERRY BOMB extreme has amazing flow and sound.
Then you need to find new muffler shops. I purchased my Magnaflow and had my shop run new dual SS pipe from the cats, into the muffler, then dual out in front of my rear wheels. Looks and sounds awesome. My memory is a little rusty, but I think their charge was ~$200 including the SS pipes.

Old 02-17-2012, 05:00 PM
HEMI1980
Professional

I like magnaflow as well. But stainless is stainless. Unless one uses t-409. And I dont think either company uses that on there exhaust. Plus Magna is about twice the price.

Quick Reply: I think I have decided. Please chime in !!