3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Just bought a 2004 Ram 1500 Quad Hemi Magnum whats recommended?

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2012, 06:52 AM
suffolk
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just bought a 2004 Ram 1500 Quad Hemi Magnum whats recommended?

Hey all

well I pulled the trigger on a 2004 1500 Quad cab 4x4 with the Hemi magnum engine, it has more options than I can ask for in a truck and was a 1 owner truck with 140k on it.... It looks are a 9 out of 10..The miles don't scare me .

The truck was over maintained as I will continue, I could not afford 38k (original window sticker in glove box)

Questions .......Brakes seem time to replace fronts at least, would like to beef it up if possible.....Raybestos ? whats recommended slotted rotors with ceramics?

Also what plugs does the engine call for ? I have 16 here !

Also Cold air intake ???? Will it give me more mpg/power ??????
if so what brand do you guys recommend ?

The truck has a hard sliding "garage door" style cover on the bed, is it really getting 18Mpg ????

Thanks for your inputs.........I will post some pictures asap

have a great weekend all

Old 02-18-2012, 07:32 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

You may want to do a search as all of your questions come up almost daily, but in a nutshell:

Personally, I like PowerSlot brakes and Hawk pads, but there are an abundance out there.

Standard copper plugs work best, most stick with Champions at under $2 a piece. Should be changed every 30k miles.

CAI isn't all it's cracked up to be and doesn't really do much on it's own. Now in combination with other mods that would actually use the increased airflow, then it becomes to shine a bit. As such, most of us make our own for about $20 plus filter cost. I've dyno'd home made vs. store/ebay bought and there is no real performance differences until you get up into the $400+ units like the Vararam.

I think 18 MPG is a bit optimistic, although if running on stock size tires is probably do-able on the highway. 12 city/16 highway/14 combo driving would be considered about the average for a QC, Hemi, pre-MDS, 4x4...

Old 02-18-2012, 11:12 AM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Brakemotive is a Spondor here. You can get drilled/slotted rotors F&R with pads for $220shipped! Check out the vendor section in the classifieds for their info.

Plugs..coppers.

mpg...bedcovers nor does putting your tailgate down change your mg's. Thats all myth proved by myth busters. You cannot go by the overhead readout. it's not very accurate over short periods of time or an amount for city or highway alone. It's best with many tanks and is an average in total. You;ll never see it at 18 with say...10 tanks in memory. More like 12-15.

Old 02-18-2012, 03:34 PM
fj5gtx
Record Breaker
Received 103 Likes on 95 Posts

If it has a limited slip rear... first thing I'd do is pull the cover and make sure those pesky clutch clips aren't broken and getting ground up.

Brakes wise, I put in ceramic ThermoQuiet from Wagner up front on wagner rotors. Cost is pretty cheap, AdvanceAutoParts was price matching and you could pick up locally. RockAuto had them listed pretty cheap. Not sure Advance is still price matching.

Quick Reply: Just bought a 2004 Ram 1500 Quad Hemi Magnum whats recommended?