3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Wheel Size

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2012, 12:14 AM
Hack2Override
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wheel Size

I recently purchased an 04 QCSB 1500. It has the factory 20'' alloy wheels.
Now I've noticed a little talk about the 17/20 wheels.

What's the advantage at all yo having 20's over 17's?

Old 02-25-2012, 01:26 AM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

ohh boy....I dont think we need another one of these threads. It's already been discussed as you seem aware of.

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/3rd-gen...n-hauling.html

Old 02-25-2012, 09:40 AM
thumperk15
Veteran

20's are more pimp than smaller wheels! lol.

Old 02-25-2012, 10:17 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Over the past decade or so there has been a trend among ALL truck makers to make 1/2 ton trucks more carlike in both ride quality and appearance. This basically started with IFS (independent front suspension) and removing the SFA (solid front axle), and has extended to the interior, wheel size, coils/struts up front and even now with the 4th Gens having coils in the rear as well. The upside is you have a truck that can now be the family car, with all the interior creature comforts of a nice sedan or at least an upscale SUV and the ride quality (unladen) of a luxury car. The downside is that it can't do things that half tons could do 15 years ago and you lose many "trucklike" qualities. There are things you could do with a half ton 15 years ago that you need a 3/4 ton to do today. Larger wheels look great, but I have yet to see any advantage of having a larger wheel with a smaller sidewall tire but there are many instances where the opposite holds true.

There is a reason 3/4 and 1 ton trucks all ship with the smallest wheel that will clear the calipers, and I've not even gotten started on the benefit of smaller wheel / larger tire sidewall advantages off of pavement...

Last edited by HammerZ71; 02-25-2012 at 10:21 AM.
Old 02-25-2012, 05:18 PM
Hack2Override

Just seems like you are only gaining a advantage on looks. If I understand correctly and you are losing tow capacity with the larger 20's then this is a major downfall and really no reason to keep a 20in wheel on these trucks.

Quick Reply: Wheel Size