3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Should I Superchip with 82k??

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2012, 07:19 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

I wasn't giving you attitude, it's just difficult to get the true meaning out in type.

Yeah, there is a bit more transmission tuning you can do with a 545rfe transmission, but my point was that there are towing benefits you should be able to feel. I have de-tuned my truck for the purpose of letting others "try before they buy" about a dozen times now almost always on Hemi trucks but have a couple of 4.7s and one 5.9. Didn't tow with the 5.9 - but there was an obvious increase in low end torque and the shifts were firmer - no question.

But yeah IMO the tuner would be the third best choice for strictly towing application (or at least the third thing to buy if looking to do as much as possible for towing). Gears are by far the best bet and will also (on paper) significantly extend transmission life because it won't be searching for the right gear nearly as much, not to mention you get up into the truck's powerband at a much lower speed - essential for towing/hauling.
The 20" wheels have disadvantages on many facets. They are heavier, they move the weight mass farther away from the hub, forcing EVERYTHING to work harder to turn them and they give you less sidewall and sidewall comes into play significantly when towing/hauling. You want to go down the line then after tuner I'd recommend a larger transmission pan (assuming you already have a stand-alone transmission cooler - which the tow package comes with). Mag-Hytec and PML make great pans that not only increase volume but have cooling fins AND a convenient drain port.

Remember that these are half ton trucks - and the trend over the last 10-15 years has been to give this weight class a more car-like ride (and not just with Dodge). The thing you give up is strength and towing/hauling ability - so you have to supplement it from the aftermarket.

There are things an old SFA 1/2 ton could do back in the day that you really would need a 3/4 ton truck for today...

Last edited by HammerZ71; 03-18-2012 at 07:21 PM.
Old 03-18-2012, 10:23 PM
Silver Bastard
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah my plan right now is a deeper trans pan with cooling fins of some sort, I have a trans cooler (tow package) and an external trans filter. I am doing a trans service soon so the pan and external filter will go in then. Along with Amsoil in the trans and rear end I think that's about all I can do to help the trans for what it is.

I am optimistic now to see at least a little improvement in shifting with the Superchips and I have no doubt that the extra HP and TQ will help with the towing.

Old 03-19-2012, 12:51 AM
slakker25rs
Professional

I have read most of the posts in regards to the superchips. I never expected a 30 hp gain and 70 tq, plus all the other benefits of the tuning (tranny, shifts, etc.)

Does anyone have a breakdown of what hp and tq increases are gained with each different configuration and what setups with mpg/octane rating.

I cant read all 333 pages of the superchips sticky. A quick post from anyone with the knowledge would be great

Old 03-19-2012, 07:27 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator

Originally Posted by slakker25rs
I have read most of the posts in regards to the superchips. I never expected a 30 hp gain and 70 tq, plus all the other benefits of the tuning (tranny, shifts, etc.)

Does anyone have a breakdown of what hp and tq increases are gained with each different configuration and what setups with mpg/octane rating.

I cant read all 333 pages of the superchips sticky. A quick post from anyone with the knowledge would be great
I'm sure SilsHemi knows them all off the top of his head and will chime in when he sees this.

I do know that of ALL gas engines/tuners, the Superchips makes the best gains on the Dodge 5.9L mainly because Chrysler de-tuned that engine so much at the factory as a lame a$$ attempt to band aid the plenum issue rather than actually fixing the issue.

Old 03-19-2012, 11:38 AM
slakker25rs
Professional

Thanks Hammer - I called 3 Pepboys today and found one for 299
Going to pick it up here shortly. I am rather excited. If I only knew what I know now. Duh - Seems to good to be true with all the pros and no cons af the tuner

Old 03-19-2012, 02:55 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator

You'll love it, especially if you opt for the custom transmission tuning. If you take off the right amount of Torque Management and setup a decent shift schedule, your truck will snap your head back when you give it gas...

Old 03-19-2012, 04:27 PM
slakker25rs
Professional

Hell Yeah. Im in the truck tuning as we speak. Woot. Lovin it already. I will also get the tran tuning. That snap is really what Ive been looking for.

There are 2 things I hate about my Ram:

1 - When I floor it, it does the 1 down then 2 down, but If I needed the acceleration immediately for whatever reason, that extra 2 seconds really hurts the wow factor.

2- No tailgate assist and the tailgate is heavy. I get envious when a ford or toyota guy just open it and it falls all nice and slow. Really helpfull with full hands.

It is pretty easy to do. No issues here with the programming, atleast not yet

Old 03-19-2012, 06:27 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator

The tuner won't help with the fly by wire lag, although the increased granny line pressure will make it feel a little better. But grounding the TB sire does help that lag...

Old 03-19-2012, 09:24 PM
Silver Bastard
Rookie

and for your tailgate assist woohs follow this link http://www.lmctruck.com/features/de/decv2.htm

Old 03-19-2012, 10:25 PM
tom d

Originally Posted by HammerZ71
But grounding the TB sire does help that lag...
I've only had my '06 for a bit over a month (finally retired my '97 QC 5.9 4X4 to backup duty when it turned 312,000) and the lag was very annoying.

After a bit of reading, I grounded the TB.

That practically eliminated the lag.

To the op, you ain't even broke your 5.9 in yet. If it were me, I'd chip it. And change the wheels to 17", as you and Hammer mentioned.

I'd see how that worked before I messed with the gears, my '97 (still) pulls pretty decent with 3:55's.

Last edited by tom d; 03-19-2012 at 10:30 PM.

Quick Reply: Should I Superchip with 82k??