3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

tranny help?

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2012, 07:03 PM
mrbb1
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tranny help?

Ok have a 06 2500 hemi auto

at 80k changed tranny fluids and filters with amsoil

when I dropped teh pan, teh filter was not seated right
but truck ran a dn shifted pretty good

put new everything back, shifted better not much but some

Ok now at 99 k, last week a few times teh truck pulling out of a top sign or red light, felt liek I was spinning the rear wheels on ice(they weren't moving) then it would take off with a power shift like popping a clutvh, but its an auto

then next red light or stop sign it would drop idle to about a 100 rpm and stall, or com very close to stalling

ran it like that few a few days(had to)

and then today tanny light came on on teh dash and went int I guess a safe mode, kinda felt liek it stayed in high gear, no down shifts

took to local shop and the ran the code, said High tranny pressure

shop thinks maybe that filter fell down again??

I plan to top the pan tomorow and look

but open to suggestions Idea's, possible cause's or problems, ??

Or on what else I should be looking for

Picked up a new filtyer from Dodge, last twop were napa brands, so??

and new Mopar fluids

any help idea's
much appreciated

Old 03-15-2012, 07:59 AM
ron333
Captain

My transmission was acting the same way a little while back. Every time I took off from a stop, it slipped at first, then kicked and went. Then after driving for a while, coasting to a stop would feel like I was hitting the brakes and the engine would stumble. I had to put it into neutral when coasting to a stop from about 15 mph or so in stop-and-go traffic to get home one night. I replaced the filters, and the feeling of slipping eventually went away. The stopping feeling went away immediately, but it took a little while for the slipping to correct itself.

There is a transmission quick-learn procedure that a dealership service department can do that probably would have corrected it right away after replacing the filters, but I was waiting for my new update package for my Auto Enginuity tool to do it myself. The slipping corrected itself before I received the update package, so I never initiated the quick-learn procedure.

I have read that replacement filters for these transmissions can be very sketchy in providing correct performance. Buying them from Dodge is a good idea. Make sure you use ATF+4 for the fluid, and when you seat the new seal for the flat filter, make sure it is seated COMPLETELY in its place. I had to use a socket about the same size as the outer rim of the new seal to tap it into place.

As for the spin-on filter, torque it to spec and it should be good. When filling the fluid, it took right at 8 quarts for mine to fill to where it should be. I used a temperature chart and my SC #3865 to read the trans temps. I followed the instructions and took my time. I was paranoid that I was well on my way to replacing the transmission, so I didn't want to screw anything up. Everything went well and no more issues with the transmission.

Old 03-15-2012, 08:33 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Dodge changed the specs on the filters a while back and most aftermarket companies have not adapted to the change yet. In all probability the switch to Mopar filters will remedy the problem...

Old 03-15-2012, 11:15 AM
mrbb1
Professional

Thanks guy dropping the pan today , I have new Mopar filters and atf 4 from them too!

will see if I can see anything else maybe to,o when the pan is off
thanks

Quick Reply: tranny help?