3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Value it? Blown 5.7 Hemi (06)

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2012, 11:54 PM
jgibbs
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Value it? Blown 5.7 Hemi (06)

Hi All,

First I would like to say that recently I posted a few messages about swapping my blown engine and received many helpful responses. Thanks everyone for your comments and answers there!

Now I'm at a crossroad on what to do with the old engine. My initial thought was to keep and rebuild, but the more I think about it I can use the money more than I can use a blown engine waiting on me to rebuild when I don't need it and with limited funds. I do have someone interested in the engine but I'm not sure what to even price it at without burning them, or seeming like I get burnt. I was wandering if anyone here could help me put a fair value on the engine with it needing rebuilt? I've been told that all the engine needs is new lifters and probably an oil pump. I didn't want to take any chances myself so I replaced it with a lower mile engine.

This engine only had 78k miles on it and died on me. Cause of death was excessive build up due to infrequent oil changes and improper oil. It originally had a push rod jump off because of all the build up and the mechanic fixed that, cleaned all the sludge and flushed the engine. It ran fine for a little while and then started missing bad. I was told by two different mechanics that a lifter had dropped, or stuck and was probably due to the sludge.

Long story short there's most likely not too much wrong with the engine, BUT there's always a chance that there may be other damage. I didn't want to chance just replacing just the lifters and wouldn't suggest it to anyone else either. I guess what I'm saying and would recommend to a potential buyer is that it would need completely rebuilt.

That said, if some of you were either selling or looking at buying a 5.7 hemi that needs rebuilt what kind of price would you put on it? The engine is less the throttle body, starter, alternator, etc... Had to use all the accessories on the replacement!

Thanks in advance!

Old 03-15-2012, 12:09 AM
NV290
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Since the mileage was fairly high and you had issues due to sludge. The engine does need a complete rebuild. That means fully dissasembled, hot tanked, inspected, possible machine work, all new bearings, new rings, new oil pump, etc, etc. The value is likley not much. Most rebuild shops would conisder it a core and pay you around $300. Because of how much in parts and labor it will take to make it new.

Old 03-15-2012, 11:47 AM
jgibbs
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the reply. I figured that was about all I could get out of it. Was hoping that it would be worth a little more but $300 is better than a bad engine sitting there doing me no good.

Originally Posted by NV290
Since the mileage was fairly high and you had issues due to sludge. The engine does need a complete rebuild. That means fully dissasembled, hot tanked, inspected, possible machine work, all new bearings, new rings, new oil pump, etc, etc. The value is likley not much. Most rebuild shops would conisder it a core and pay you around $300. Because of how much in parts and labor it will take to make it new.

Old 03-15-2012, 02:22 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Yeah that probably sounds about right, but I dunno.

A number of years ago I had a "project" 1967 Plymouth Fury II with the 383 V8 engine in it. Body was rusted out pretty bad, it only had one axle on it but I had the engine running like a top - although not for very long at a time because the radiator was rusted out as was the heater core. I finally decided I didn't have the fundage to restore it and college took center stage. I ended up "selling" it to a friend - basically giving it to him if he paid for the flatbed to come get it.
He ended up scrap yarding most of it for scrap metal cost but sold that perfectly running 4 barrel - 383 for $1100. I guess I wasn't so bright, LOL...

Quick Reply: Value it? Blown 5.7 Hemi (06)