3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Adding horsepower with modified intake

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2012, 07:44 PM
NV290
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In my area, their is a chain of shops known as "Lou's Custom Exhaust". Their are half a dozen of them, including one right over the border from me in New Hampshire (tax free).

They quoted me a custom made welded in 3" exhaust for $300 out one side, about $500 out both sides. They do great work and i have unlimited options because it's custom, not simply a kit.

He said i had my choice of like 9 different mufflers.

Old 03-20-2012, 07:57 PM
slakker25rs
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Custom is a great way to go. I had mine done for 300$ also. Chose the 44 as the muffler and (2) polished dual tips out the back. Never had an issue. I am noticing that it might need to be re done though. After 120,000 miles it is showing some wear.

Old 03-20-2012, 08:44 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by arani rey
What kind of exhausts are you finding the in 300-400 dollar range?

Before I completely re-did my entire exhaust system starting with long tube headers, I originally just did a cat back. Had a local shop bend me the tubes, bought the stainless tips from them, bought a Flowmaster muffler (which I would NOT recommend) and welded it all on myself. I had $175 in the whole thing...

Old 03-21-2012, 07:57 AM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

A Superchips tuner with the OPTIONAL Advanced transmission tuning is the best bang for your buck! Period!

Old 03-21-2012, 11:53 AM
NV290
All Star

Originally Posted by slakker25rs
Custom is a great way to go. I had mine done for 300$ also. Chose the 44 as the muffler and (2) polished dual tips out the back. Never had an issue. I am noticing that it might need to be re done though. After 120,000 miles it is showing some wear.
My issue i spoke to the shop about is NOT wanting to hear the MDS Underwater Helicopter sound on the highway. So they said they have a muffler that is louder then stock, but no so wide open you get the annoying sound.

My other thing i have not yet decided about is whether i want the exhaust coming out passenger side rear behind the wheel or Passenger side in front of the wheel. I am just worred that in front of the rear wheel will be too loud and get annoying.

Old 03-21-2012, 01:44 PM
ron333
Captain

A Superchips tuner with the OPTIONAL Advanced transmission tuning is the best bang for your buck! Period!
I FULLY agree with that statement! Superchips has really done a great job with the #3865 tuning and the transmission add-on.

Old 03-23-2012, 07:43 PM
Radam3
Amateur

Originally Posted by HammerZ71
Before I completely re-did my entire exhaust system starting with long tube headers, I originally just did a cat back. Had a local shop bend me the tubes, bought the stainless tips from them, bought a Flowmaster muffler (which I would NOT recommend) and welded it all on myself. I had $175 in the whole thing...

why would you not recommend the Flowmaster? This is what I was looking to get

Old 03-23-2012, 07:48 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Radam3
why would you not recommend the Flowmaster? This is what I was looking to get
It's a chambered muffler and is really quite restrictive. Chambering flow is a great way to make a nice rumble but really poor for performance.

Plus they tend to rust out pretty fast. They spend more in advertising than all other muffler manufacturers combined so their sales are quite high, but a lot of guys don't buy a second one.

There are other mufflers out there that have much better flow that sound just as good.

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/3rd-gen...mparisons.html

Lose the lousy, crimped factory "Y" pipe and put on a good, free flowing muffler and you'll significantly increase RWHP and get better fuel economy...

Old 03-23-2012, 08:20 PM
Tom5.7

I agree with Hammer. The flowmasters do sound good but that is all you will get from them is sound. I installed a magnaflow cat back stainless sysytem and it performs nicely. I get compliments everywhere I go, plus it has a nice low rumble when cruising but when you step on it the magnaflow really comes to life. Plus with my Brute Force CAI it sounds like an F-5 tornado under the hood when you step on it

Old 03-23-2012, 09:29 PM
NV290
All Star

Flowmasters do sound great, but they rust way too fast. It's so bad up here in New England with the salt that the custom exhaust chain will not even stock them and will not warranty any system they install with them because he said after 3 years they are rsuted through.

I used them in the past on two sports cars and was annoyed how nasty they get so quickly.

Quick Reply: Adding horsepower with modified intake