3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Front end clunk - 2500 HD - Your going to laugh..

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2012, 08:51 PM
CanadianWR450
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front end clunk - 2500 HD - Your going to laugh..

So last week my 2500 developed a "clunk" in the front end. Coming from a heavily modified Jeep with long arm's, custom track bar setup, etc, etc, I'm pretty familiar with the Mopar solid front end set up's, and started looking for the usual suspects. Couldn't find squat...sway bar links were good, steering shaft was good, tie rod ends, universal's, etc. Started digging through here for idea's, and the first thing I noticed was that everyone talks about the "sound" of the clunk. I had no "sound", just the "clunk" feeling in the steering wheel. Noticed it most on faster speed smooth roads was another odd thing...
In the process of checking things, I found the cord for my block heater had fallen down into the opening at the front of the frame rails, and had the crap beat out of it. All 3 prongs were now touching, and formed a triangle from being beat inside the frame in the wind blast....removed cable from frame...and viola! No more "clunk"! As it was right by where the steering is bolted to the frame, the impact of the block heater cord beating inside the frame was transmitted right up into the steering wheel....
I could only laugh once I figured it out...it was driving me crazy!!!

Old 03-24-2012, 10:52 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

LMAO....Nice!

Old 03-24-2012, 11:51 PM
slakker25rs
Professional

Atleast your troubleshooting skills are top notch, LMAO

Old 03-25-2012, 07:57 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

This reminds me of an interesting story.

I was engaged to a girl when I was 19 and her parents bought a brand new Lincoln Town Car. They didn't really notice it on the test drive but once they got it home her mom noticed an audible clunk in the back end on turns.
They brought it back to the dealer who admitted hearing it but couldn't find anything wrong. The clunk stayed and was driving her mom nuts. On the second trip to the dealer they actually pinned the noise down to the area between the trunk and side quarter panel. They pulled the trunk apart and found a beer bottle (Schlitz if I remember), tied to a short string, hanging from the fuel fill tube. Was a note in the bottle that said "Bet this was a b*tch to find".

I guess Furd employees get bored at work, LOL...

Old 03-25-2012, 08:09 AM
CanadianWR450
Amateur

Well, hopefully this post help's out someone else. If it happened to me, there is probably another cord inside a frame rail out there somewhere driving someone else nuts.
I was actually driving the truck to the dealer when I discovered I had "fixed" it....lol

Quick Reply: Front end clunk - 2500 HD - Your going to laugh..