3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

New to trucks...

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2012, 06:02 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

If your thinking lift and larger tires then I'd be thinking Hemi. Although there are lifted 4.7 guys out there.

Search this section, there are literally hundreds of posts from guys with 4.7s asking about how hard it would be to drop in a Hemi engine, but I defy you to find one post from one guy with a Hemi asking about going to a 4.7.

I'm not dead-panning the 4.7 and don't wanna offend any 4.7 owners but all things considered, there is no reason not to buy the Hemi engine (hell, I have one in my Grand Cherokee - although it's a good 1500 lbs. lighter than even a base pickup).

In my area there is about a $1000 difference between 4.7 and 5.7 all other things being about the same on '03-'06 trucks. Difference can be as high as $2000 on newer trucks.

Old 03-25-2012, 06:53 PM
Gcstutts
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HammerZ71
If your thinking lift and larger tires then I'd be thinking Hemi. Although there are lifted 4.7 guys out there.

Search this section, there are literally hundreds of posts from guys with 4.7s asking about how hard it would be to drop in a Hemi engine, but I defy you to find one post from one guy with a Hemi asking about going to a 4.7.

I'm not dead-panning the 4.7 and don't wanna offend any 4.7 owners but all things considered, there is no reason not to buy the Hemi engine (hell, I have one in my Grand Cherokee - although it's a good 1500 lbs. lighter than even a base pickup).

In my area there is about a $1000 difference between 4.7 and 5.7 all other things being about the same on '03-'06 trucks. Difference can be as high as $2000 on newer trucks.
I kind of get the feeling that I should spend a little more on a hemi and enjoy it more than regret getting a 4.7 and try a swap. You all have been more then helpful. Now I wait for my insurance settlement to be decided, and I guess I'll be picking a truck out.

I know rust was mentioned. I live in North Carolina, that shouldn't be a big deal should it?

Thanks again, you all have been great help!

Old 03-25-2012, 07:21 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Gcstutts
I kind of get the feeling that I should spend a little more on a hemi and enjoy it more than regret getting a 4.7 and try a swap. You all have been more then helpful. Now I wait for my insurance settlement to be decided, and I guess I'll be picking a truck out.

I know rust was mentioned. I live in North Carolina, that shouldn't be a big deal should it?

Thanks again, you all have been great help!
Rust is a potential problem with any used vehicle since you really don't know how it was cared for. A problem area to look at would be up inside the rear tire wells since crap can get caught up in there and do damage. That said, it's really a major issue in northern states where they salt the roads. I'd look the truck over well, but unless you're right on the ocean and the truck has done a good bit of beach driving, it shouldn't be an issue...

Old 03-26-2012, 08:02 AM
Gcstutts
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks. I have a friend whose a mechanic who is going to help me look over whatever truck I get. You guys have been very helpful!

Quick Reply: New to trucks...