3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

HID Kit Question - reliable upgrade solution?

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2012, 01:12 PM
Brent Thomann
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HID Kit Question - reliable upgrade solution?

It hard to see at night in bad weather so I'm thinking about upgrading my head and fog lights, specially now that one of my fog lights went out and a new upgraded pair of halogen fog lights was $45 from pepboys.
I did a little research on the forum and it seems people are having issues with their aftermarket HID Kits which bums me out. I added two HID kits (Head/fog from ddmtuning.com/) to our 2010 Nissan Altima two yeas ago and haven't had any issues so I was expecting the same I guess for our Truck.

I noticed a lot of the post I've read of people having issues was from a few years ago. Does anyone now make a reliable solution for adding HID Kits for Fog and Headlights for my 2006 Ram 1500 5.7 SLT? I'm pretty mechanically incline so I can handle something that is not plug-n-play but of course my time is limited so I wouldn't mind paying extra for something that is plug-n-play.

Your Knowledge and help is greatly appreciated.
Brent

Old 03-26-2012, 02:33 PM
Brandon Anderson
All Star

I have had limited issues with the kits sold by vendor/sponsor HIDextra, but they were really only bulb related issues. They sell CANBUS ballasts for the H13 headlights that are plug-n-play and work great. For foglights, just use any one of the standard 9006 kits. I bought both kits and upgraded bi-xenon H13 bulbs when everything was on sale earlier this year, and I couldn't be happier. 6000k headlights have a nice white output and are noticeably brighter than stock. I used 3500K yellow bulbs for the fog/driving lights and it brings everything together very nicely. As soon as my truck is back from the body shop, I can get you some side-by-side pics of the HID and halogen for comparison if you want.

Old 03-26-2012, 05:25 PM
SLT8
Record Breaker

Got mine from Unique Coatings (8K Bi-Xenon Heads and 8K Fogs). I had to point the heads down down due to scatter because of the oem housing but been 100% operational since 08-09

Old 03-27-2012, 06:23 AM
Bigboytoys
Professional

This will give you an idea....keep in mind this is on my 1997 GT with projectors, but you get the idea...left is halogen and right is HID...

Old 03-30-2012, 01:18 AM
Brent Thomann

Thanks for the info. Will have to place an order then.

Quick Reply: HID Kit Question - reliable upgrade solution?