3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.
Old 08-05-2015, 12:02 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: General Overview
Print Wikipost

How to Improve Gas Mileage in 5.7l HEMI?

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2017, 01:36 PM
prince102671
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Way late on this post...newby.....researching.....
Wanted to respond to the Prius post.....
will eat a Prius before I buy one.....don't care if gas hit $20/gallon.....
Just Sayn'.

Old 12-26-2019, 06:26 PM
orchestr8
Thumbs up 2015 Dodge Durango heme 5.7l

Okay I have finally figured out how to drive my car and get good gas mileage (76 years in the learning zone !!).... it's really very simple you drive a car as though you were in a spaceship in outer space ...you hit the gas ...gain momentum.... back off... feather the pedal... last tank of gas I got 21.2 miles per gallon with my 2015 Dodge Durango hemi engine 5.7 l.... that's an around the town record !!! .. I wonder if 76 is too old to apply to be an astronaut...?

Old 02-07-2023, 09:26 AM
Tom L

Originally Posted by SmogCop
Here's hoping that someone will have some advice.
I have scanned several sites and lots of Dodge forums regarding fuel mileage on my 2005 Dodge Ram STI Quad Cab 5.7L Hemi. I replaced the platinum plugs that the previous owner installed with Champion Copper Plus, I changed the air filter (stock), pulled the throttle body and cleaned off the caked on carbon and wiped out what I could reach of the intake. I stopped using 87 octane fuel and filled up with 91 at half a tank. I am into my second half tank of 91 (cheaper at Sams Club than 89 at most other stations). My mileage is still 9-10 city and about 12-13 highway. Several things I have noticed. When I start the truck and immediately put it in gear the trans slips (hot or cold doesn’t matter). If I wait 30 seconds then put it in gear all seems ok. No other slippage noticed. After that 30 second wait time I put in gear and drive say 20 feet (end of my driveway) the truck stumbles and sometimes stalls, usually only cold but occasionally hot.
Anyone have any constructive thoughts?
Bring your truck to get the transmission fluid changed and make sure they change the filter. The original filter acts like a sump and loses suction when the truck is sitting for a while. It takes that 30 seconds for it to re-develop suction. I had the same problem. The newer updated filter solved that problem.

Quick Reply: How to Improve Gas Mileage in 5.7l HEMI?