3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Exhaust Scavenging

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2012, 10:25 PM
jdpartsman
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exhaust Scavenging

Looking to have my exhaust re-done soon, getting away from dual tailpipes that came with my truck. Going back to a single 3" tailpipe in the stock location.

My local muffler shop wants to remove the Y-pipe all together and run two 2.5" pipes off my cats into a dual in/single out muffler. He claims better exhaust scavenging, makes more torque. I know the Magnaflow Y-pipe is the popular choice for replacing the choked up factory unit.

I don't know if I believe it all. I am not an expert. I do know some trucks come from the factory this way, mainly big block GM stuff. Let me know what you think.

Old 05-01-2012, 10:35 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Either the Maggy "Y" or his idea will free up the exhaust a good bit over that sh*tty stock "Y" pipe.

But your exhaust guy doesn't know his a$$ from a hole in the ground. Scavenging will be unaffected as long as all the gases are mixing at the stock manifold. Headers would be needed. Also, the gains you'll see from freeing up the exhaust will show up in the mid to high RPM range. If anything you'll lose just a tad of low end torque as the torque curve will move up the RPM band slightly.

Still a good idea to ditch the factory "Y", but the gains are gonna be exactly the opposite from where he says they are going to be...

Old 05-02-2012, 08:07 PM
jdpartsman
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Hammer. Maggy Y on order.

Quick Reply: Exhaust Scavenging