3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

New Mods and a Question

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2012, 11:29 AM
klruff1
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Mods and a Question

My mechanic friend and I did some mods to my 2005 Daytona QC yesterday. Lessons learned:

Hellwig anti-sway bar works well, very nice around corners and tight handeling, but they did not take into account the dual exhaust pipes on the Daytona. There is interference issues with the bar that connects to the sway bar and mount up on the frame, it hits one of the exhaust pipes, and interferes with the exhaust hanger. We had to bend the pipe but still have issues. We are buying some longer bolts and fabricating new downtubes that fit over those bolts so they drop down beyond the exhaust pipe to the bushings/bolt end does not contact the tailpipe.

We installed Timbren Bump stops (like airbags without the bladder) to help bolster the rear suspension while towing my travel trailer. Had a little sag, not too terrible. They come with 1 inch thick spacers which we intially installed, but after a test drive, hitting bumps in the road and especially speed bumps made us feel like pogo sticks as they hit and rebounded hard. We removed the spacers, will have to see if they touch when towing the trailer.

Installed a new Borla Pro XS muffler, sounds great! The OEM system was a Borla, but didn't have enough tone for me. I had already installed an Airaid Mini CAI (intake tube and high flow air filter), cut the silencer exhaust tips off and replaced with OEM replica chrome tips without silencers, and it got a bit more tone but not enough to my liking. The new muffler is 8 inches shorter and an inch narrower, and made a HUGE difference. Sounds great and there is minimal drone, a little more around town but nothing noticeable (above the stock muffler) on the highway.

Next up is the Superchips Flashpaq, maybe the Volant CAI that uses my SRT-10 air scoop on the hood, and some replica SRT-10 20" wheels.

My question is relative to the rear end not being perfectly level. I read the archives here but have the opposite issue - I do not have the infamous driver side rear end sag (due to driver weight, battery, and gas tank), my passenger side sags about 1/4 inch. The front is perfectly level side to side, so we can't figure out why the passenger side rear is 1/4 inch lower than the drivers side. With a driver in the truck, it is level, add a passenger and it starts to lean to the right a bit, noticeable from behind. There is only 47K miles on the truck, so we would be surprised if the spring is worn. Who knows. Any ideas?

Old 08-09-2012, 09:58 AM
klruff1
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Disregard my question about the rear end sag. I guess after adjusting the torsion bar, the truck needs to be driven to settle things in. The front and rear is absolutely spot on now. Hellwig is fixed too, longer threaded rods and gas pipe cut to fit fixed the interference issue with the exhaust tail pipe. I contacted Hellwig to let them know that the Daytona needs a different set up, they were appreciative and planned on looking into it. As for the Timbren bump stops, they are sending me 1/2 inch spacers free of charge. With the 1 inch spacers, there was about 1 inch of space between the bottom of the rubber and top of the axle with the truck empty, which was not enough. They recommend about 1 1/2 inch, I agree. Without any spacer I've got 2 inches clearance, which is too much, so the 1/2 inch spacer gets me down to 1 1/2 inch clearance. That is perfect for my truck because the back of the truck is sitting 1 1/2 inches higher than the front. When the trailer is loaded, the Timbrens should keep the truck level.

Hope all of this info is helpful to some of you.

Quick Reply: New Mods and a Question