3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

exhaust & MPG question

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2012, 09:14 AM
drewactual
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

some online organization got hold of my credit card digits and ran up quite a bill with some sort of sweepstakes something or another.. the credit card company took care of me and gave my $$ back, but I still get magazines in the mail non-stop.. it's annoying most of the time, but recently it's been good material to read for the bathroom.. I got four car and driver mag's the other day...

in those mags, there is some sort of 'shoot out' for family sedans.. the VW, the accord, the yadablah blah..

these fellas take those things out and ride them hard.. then, they ride them as they would figure a family would use them, for about 500 miles.. not a bad gig for them, huh? free car and gas? .... I missed that boat to be sure..

anyway, this you fellas might find of interest: those 'family sedans' had a Car and Driver observed gas mileage of 19mpg.. they advertised something like 29~30mpg's, which they could likely get on the highway and at posted speed limits, and on dead flat pan stretches- but driving them like people actually drive them? they 'observed' 19mpg's... I though that was pretty interesting..

My rig gets me around 13ish, 14ish on the highway consistently, and 15ish if I drive uber careful and 'old lady like'... that is by figuring what replaces what was in the tank with the miles driven- old fashioned math in other words.. hard to argue with.. according to what I read in that magazine, that's pretty dang good considering my truck would make a tangled mess out of those 'family sedans' in a paint-rub..

just food for thought.. there are advertised MPG's, real world MPG's, and the MPG's your foot can muster if'n going fast or sneaking around is your goal at the time.. the one factor that can maximize ALL of it, be it performance or economy, is a nicely tuned truck..

Old 10-09-2012, 10:08 AM
willdikem66
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thats whats sad, your "Can" Get this great gas milage........ if you try as hard as we did lol

Old 10-13-2012, 09:27 PM
Ellis42
Veteran

Why are there so many threads about better MPGs.. It simple it's a truck it's gonna suck gas down if MPGs are a worry buy a 4 cylinder and you be good to go

Old 10-14-2012, 11:00 AM
Jareski
Veteran

Originally Posted by Ellis42
Why are there so many threads about better MPGs.. It simple it's a truck it's gonna suck gas down if MPGs are a worry buy a 4 cylinder and you be good to go
I am a random guy on the Internet, and I approve this message.

We have a Ford car that gets fairly decent MPG, and my truck gets horrible MPG, and that's just the norm. Rams aren't going to save the oceans and trees.

Old 10-15-2012, 12:08 PM
willdikem66
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by Jareski
I am a random guy on the Internet, and I approve this message.

We have a Ford car that gets fairly decent MPG, and my truck gets horrible MPG, and that's just the norm. Rams aren't going to save the oceans and trees.
Lol Exactly

Old 10-16-2012, 12:10 PM
marty7384

Well I must be in the wrong place since all anyone can say is "It's a truck it's going to get bad mpg". I know it's not going to get 30 or 40. I'm not worried about it just ask a question about improving it but all I've got is "it's a truck if your worried buy a 4 cyl" Maybe I've in the rich people section where they have to much money i don't know. I figured this up and think its right...if you drive 40,000 at 12 mpg you use 3333.3 gals x 3.42 a gal here = $11,399.9. Ok 40,000 at 15mpg = 2666.7 gals x 3.42= $9120.1. That's a $2279.8 difference maybe it doesn't matter to you but I could handle a little extra money so if I can do a few simple things a get more mpg then I will just won't ask for help on here! A few people tried to help and thanks for that!

Old 10-16-2012, 01:37 PM
willdikem66
Record Breaker

Obviously you didnt read every post and its even more obvious that you havent searched one of the 300 Threads about getting you Truck to get better MPGs.

Here i mentioned that its expensive to gain MPGs and i Also listed All the Mods you would find if you did a search for better MPGs.

Your very right Borggyr But thats very optimistic, and not to mention very very expensive, depending on how you try to get more MPGs.
Efan, A Better way for your intake to breathe, a Better exhaust with more flow is the cheapest ways by far and you get a little extra HP/Trq with it

And here I listed that if you go and put everything on the market to make your truck gain MPGs.... you will end up losing more than you gain.

At Marty, like everyone has said you can add all the MPG savers you want on your truck but you will only get maybe 3-4 MPGs more at the cost of your HP/Trq. And if you get to crazy and add every gas saving method you will end up losing MPGs.

Also your truck is different You have different MPGs, different terrain, different everything.... YOu could add a Efan, Pipes and a Intake and still end up losing MPGs in the long run. Your truck is set up to get best MPGs it can get coming out of the Assembley line. It just so happens that somethings manage to get Maybe 1 MPG better which in turn makes them sell giving everyone the impression that If I Buy that Part Ill get better MPGs........

Old 10-16-2012, 02:31 PM
ewing111
Captain
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by marty7384
Well I must be in the wrong place since all anyone can say is "It's a truck it's going to get bad mpg". I know it's not going to get 30 or 40. I'm not worried about it just ask a question about improving it but all I've got is "it's a truck if your worried buy a 4 cyl" Maybe I've in the rich people section where they have to much money i don't know. I figured this up and think its right...if you drive 40,000 at 12 mpg you use 3333.3 gals x 3.42 a gal here = $11,399.9. Ok 40,000 at 15mpg = 2666.7 gals x 3.42= $9120.1. That's a $2279.8 difference maybe it doesn't matter to you but I could handle a little extra money so if I can do a few simple things a get more mpg then I will just won't ask for help on here! A few people tried to help and thanks for that!
It says you've been a member since 2009, but you must not log on very much, if you would then you would see the mpg threads that come up all the time. At least one a week it seems like. They are framed different ways (exhaust, intake, cats, efan, additives, what-have-you), but they want to know the same thing, how to get better mpgs. If you read this forum frequently, eventually you get tired of the exact same questions, especially when a search or a browse through the stickies would answer your question. It boils down to this... there aren't many if any extremely cheap ways to easily get more mpgs out of your truck. Think about it, if there were, why wouldn't dodge do it already? They have way more to gain by selling trucks with higher mpgs. No one's trying to be an ***, and all the good suggestions where given, other people just chimed in with there 2 cents/frustration with seeing another mpg thread. Don't take it personal and don't let it steer you away from the forum, there's ton's of good info on here.

Old 10-16-2012, 03:32 PM
08HEMI1500
Record Breaker
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The amount of money it will cost you in mods to increase your MPG is usually more than you'll save in gas is what everyone is silently saying with their posts.

Old 10-17-2012, 12:17 PM
marty7384

@willdikem66 & ewing111 I guess I should've searched the fourm first and will next time to avoid me getting frustrated

my question was simple and somehow turned into this the question was

"Does anyone have the flowmaster super 40 and 50 HD on one like mine if so what kind of MPG are you getting"

so wasn't really asking how to improve mpg from the start so some people must have seen the title and didn't read the question.

Thanks!

Quick Reply: exhaust & MPG question