3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

USB hardwire cable.........

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2012, 09:29 AM
SC_Ram
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default USB hardwire cable.........

I'm thinking I might hardwire a mini USB connector cable for my Tom Tom XL to the fusebox.I know they sell a cable that breaks down the voltage from 12v to 5v.I was just wondering if anyone here has done this and would you recommend it.

Old 11-25-2012, 09:45 AM
MikeHTally
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You have a cigarette lighter cable, right? Just get a cigarette lighter cord splitter from Radio Shack/Harbor Freight, etc. Cut the female connector off the splitter, put a 2A fuse in one side and wire it to the back side of the lighter. Plug your GPS's power cable into the newly-installed connector.

Old 11-25-2012, 12:54 PM
SC_Ram
Rookie

I had a cig lighter but I used the power and ground wire too power a SPST rocker switch for footwell lights.I have an accessory outlet which I currently use for the GPS but I want to clean things up a little.I don't want too see the wire running down my dash and behind things then sticking out from my drop down door under my steering column.Thats why I want to hard wire to the fuse box.

Old 11-25-2012, 05:17 PM
MikeHTally
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's the way I ran my Garmin connection - it comes out of the dash at the left A-pillar. The only exposed wire is the 6" run to the gadget itself.

Old 11-25-2012, 07:27 PM
SC_Ram
Rookie

What I'm thinkin about doing is using a mini USB hard wire GPS cable.You can hook it into your fuse box with an "add a fuse"(?) It will break down 12v to 5v.You can run the wire thru your fire wall into the cab and then plug the USB cable into your GPS.Amazon sells the cable for 14 bucks.The fuse jumper is probably 3 or 4.I would use the fuse jumper in a slot that is key-on only.I was just wondering if anyone here has ever tried this kind of set up and if so,with what success.

Quick Reply: USB hardwire cable.........