3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

So I'm preparing for my dash removal to refresh the HVAC system and I notice some...

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2013, 06:52 PM
Prismatic
All Star
Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts
Default So I'm preparing for my dash removal to refresh the HVAC system and I notice some...

electrical abnormalities. Most notably, an out of place wire that runs from the HVAC fan, under the carpet, behind the dash and up towards the steering column.

By looking at it I'd swear it was a hack job by the previous owner for some unknown reason, but looking over this guide I see this owner has the same exact setup (note the final picture in his second post, you'll see the wire I'm talking about)

Now I'm convinced it's either a common mod, or a factory item. Why would they design something so... ghetto looking? Would it have been that hard to build it into a harness?

Edit - Looks like I cant link to ********. Here's the pic I'm talking about anyways

Name:  DSC02513.jpg
Views: 9927
Size:  409.7 KB

Edit - Oh god, is there some beef between this forum and the ram specific forum I'm unaware of?

FINAL EDIT! - How do I determine what "style" heatercore and evap core I have? Rockauto offers an old style and a new style for the 02 1500 4.7. Everything in my truck looks exactly like my buddies 03. So, new style I'd assume?

Last edited by Prismatic; 01-30-2013 at 07:20 PM.
Old 01-30-2013, 09:26 PM
ron333
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I remember getting a recall notice for the 2nd Gen '96 Ram I had regarding the fan blower motor. After being run on high for too long it would cause the factory wiring to catch fire because it had been under-sized for the fan's electrical load. I was told I needed to bring it in so they could replace the wire for it. Perhaps this is what you are seeing here as well. If so, 3rd Gens may have the same issue, but I haven't heard anything on them yet, until your post. Hopefully someone will chime in here and tell us for sure if this is the case.

Old 01-31-2013, 03:07 PM
HemiLonestar
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Prismatic
Edit - Oh god, is there some beef between this forum and the ram specific forum I'm unaware of?
Nah, you normally can't post any links that have the word 'dodge' in them.

Quick Reply: So I'm preparing for my dash removal to refresh the HVAC system and I notice some...