3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Not the normal Hemi tick at all.

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2013, 03:58 PM
keepushin770
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Not the normal Hemi tick at all.

ok so i have an 05 ram 5.7 reg cab SLT. when i say i have a tick everybody reverts back to this being just the hemi tick but its not. it doesnt do it upon start up like most when its assumed to be a lifter problem. you cant hear it while the truck is sitting idle from outside or inside it. it has to be warm, windows up and cab silent. once the truck settles down in OD its easiest to hear when u accelerate just enough to put the engine under load without causing it to down shift. im sure it is noticeable at all ranges but i have 2.5 inch true duel exhaust with 40 series flowmasters on each side so it hollers too loud at take off to hear anything else lol. i can hear it rev up and down with the engine in the higher gears through different ranges of acceration but you can forget it on take off. i took it to the dealer because its nder warranty still. only has 85k on it and they claimed they couldnt duplicate it. well of course you cant. you fired it up at 8am and drove it around for one with the clutch fan drowning it out as well as the exhaust. somebody would really have to drive it a day or 2 to seperate the exhaust sound from the engine itself. any old new comer is so dead set on the exhaust that thats all they hear. im really getting close to doing the exhaust manifold gaskets just ot rule that out if it doesnt stop. i hate it. any help would be great guys

Old 02-19-2013, 02:37 PM
Blacksport
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did you check the manifold studs? They tend to break and sound like a "tick"

Quick Reply: Not the normal Hemi tick at all.