3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Stock cold air intake?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2013, 09:47 PM
duTTin
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stock cold air intake?

Just bought a 2005 Ram 1500 Quad Cab 5.7 Hemi. I'd been considering a new performance CAI, but looking under the hood I noticed that the stock air cleaner is basically a cold air intake itself. That is the actual intake is routed away from the engine compartment. Is there really any benefit in replacing the stock one with one from Volant or K&N?

Old 03-23-2013, 10:33 AM
hemi4109
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you can search and read about this until the cows come home but here's a nice long tread https://dodgeforum.com/forum/3rd-gen...r-intakes.html

It really depends on who to talk to in term of actual gains but one thing's for sure is that if you remove the resonator like many of these kits do, you'll definately get more noise if that's what you're after.

Old 03-29-2013, 10:14 AM
cyclone429
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have two box assemblys for he 5.7 hemi that Im trying to modify to get more air into and so far I'm not suggesting any one waste thier money on a CAI intake..

I agree the stock air box is all ready a CAI, to remove it and buy a kit were you install a heat shiled or one with simply a bigger box is just a cash grab..

With the hemi hat ( pictures will not upload) on the underside of a 3rd gen themi hat thier is a smooth bending 90 degree turn from the air intake hose into the TB, in laymans terms, this Frick all for any restriction and it identical to a pvc pipe.

In less than a mim you can remove the hemi hat and see for your self..

The forth gen hemis use the same air box assembly as the third gen hemis, ( part numbers are identical) but the fourth gen has a larger intake, ( where it draws air from the fender) all most twice the size of the third gen, im going to be putting in the fourth gen air box..and adapting the draw port in the fender..

Dodge did a better job with the air box hose into the TB on the fourth gen vers the third, elbows are are lot smoother and the oem hose is longer and better flowing but its not going to fit on a 3rd gen hemi..as the elbows are bent backwards..

Its not a big deal for some, as CAI intake pipes allow for this, but when removing the hemi hat, the temp sensor needs to be retapped..

On the fourth gens, the TB is not in the same place as the 3rd gen. I toyed with removing the hemi hat and running the 4rth gen air hose into a third gen TB and using the tap thats all ready in the frth gen air intale hose but im not so sure the temp sensor will fit..

I was thinking off cutting holes in the air box to draw in more air, for kicks and giggles I might, but when the air is sucked in from the fender, I dont want the air to be sucked out from the holes I drilled..on the passenger side, or on the bottom of the box..

I will try a short PVC plastic tube and use the rubber ends from the 3rd gen air intake hose ( air box is round, hemi hat has a ovel shape) as I do see the air intake hose as restrictive..

I bought two extra hemi air boxs on Kijji for less than 30.00 ( some are selling oem air assemblys for the cost of after market CAI) and the oem one on my hemi will stay as is if my trickery on the othier two is a lost cause..

Last edited by cyclone429; 03-29-2013 at 10:36 AM.

Quick Reply: Stock cold air intake?