3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

dodge ram handle worse then dakota?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2013, 10:39 AM
fldodge4x4
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default dodge ram handle worse then dakota?

I had a 2002 dakota 4.7 four door quad cab 4x4 I loved it. Now I have the chance to get 2004 dodge ram 4x4 4.7v8 quad cab. I test drove a 2wd one and it seemed stiff compared to my old dakota. Am I imagining this or is that true?

Old 03-31-2013, 11:18 AM
Senomar_DTK
Professional

It could be many things making it seem more stiff, different shocks, stabilizer bar, etc. Were there any worn parts on your dakota making it feel less then the ram?

Old 03-31-2013, 12:38 PM
fldodge4x4
Rookie

Originally Posted by Senomar_DTK
It could be many things making it seem more stiff, different shocks, stabilizer bar, etc. Were there any worn parts on your dakota making it feel less then the ram?
not that I know of. I did have master craft mud tires on the dakota

Old 04-01-2013, 10:51 AM
BigSloth
Professional

3rd gen rams do ride more like a truck than dakota, i can confirm this. My brother has an 01 dakota club cab, rides pretty smooth for a truck. My 06 QC 1500 rides like a truck.

Old 04-05-2013, 03:36 PM
DodgeCACares
Record Breaker
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by fldodge4x4
I had a 2002 dakota 4.7 four door quad cab 4x4 I loved it. Now I have the chance to get 2004 dodge ram 4x4 4.7v8 quad cab. I test drove a 2wd one and it seemed stiff compared to my old dakota. Am I imagining this or is that true?
fldodge4x4,

Different vehicles are going to drive differently. If you have the option try test driving a similar Ram to the one you are looking to purchase. In addition to what Senomar mentioned, it could be many factors, does the 04 Ram have any after market parts?

If you'd like me check if there are any recalls on the Ram PM me the VIN# and I can look into that for you or you can visit:
www.dodge.ca
Select “Vehicle Brand”
Select “Owners” in the lower left hand corner
Select “Vehicle Recall Inquiry”
Select a brand and “View …Recall Notices”
Select “Get Recall Information”
Enter last 8 characters of the vehicle identification number (VIN) in the
space provide and Select “GO”.
“Here are your results”. It will list the vehicle with the complete VIN, a verbal description of the vehicle and recall, if any apply.

Old 04-05-2013, 04:40 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

No bout a doubt it, baby trucks handle more like cars, bigger trucks handle more like trucks. Although there isn't the gap there used to be.

When full size trucks had two live axles and leafs front and rear they were REAL trucks and handled as such. Things like coils, independent front suspension and rack and pinions make today's full size trucks feel like driving a Caddy to us old codgers who had "REAL" trucks back in the day.

Of course you give up some capacity/strength for the drive-ability of today. Personally, I think the 4th Gen Rams handle like sports cars with their front & rear coil springs, but I don't like the spongy feel and lack of control when towing heavy weight...

Old 04-06-2013, 06:23 PM
gHEMImorePower
All Star

Don't get a 4.7, get a hemi you'll be much happier

Quick Reply: dodge ram handle worse then dakota?