3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

NP244 equiped AWD ram opinions

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2013, 10:27 AM
DonniePalmer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NP244 equiped AWD ram opinions

I am currently looking at purchasing an amazingly clean near spotless 2004 Ram QC laramie......but its equiped with AWD NP244 transfer case. You can go from AWD to 4wd lock and 4wd low. Can everyone with or without this option please chime in and tell me your opinions on it!?

Does this affect fuel economy?
How about tires wearing faster?
Does the truck drive different?
If you own one do you like it?

Other than that this truck has 110,000 miles and is immaculate. Its a laramie with the 20's, leather, navigation, the works. Not a mark on it. He is looking to get 13,600 for it.

Old 04-22-2013, 10:28 AM
DonniePalmer

I should mention I am coming from a 242 equiped Jeep Grand Cherokee with a 2wd option so this is a big switch for me.

Old 04-22-2013, 10:56 AM
08HEMI1500
Record Breaker
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

From the few, rare posts I've seen about the AWD Rams I will say what I think I can remember. You can always try searching it since there are such few posts on them you won't have to sort through results for long. I believe the mpg is down slightly from a regular 4x4 and if I recall correctly some people weren't a fan of the transfer case (I think it shifted power where they didn't exactly want it?). I will say the price seems high but since it is an AWD it is pretty rare so maybe thats why the price is so high. For comparison a regular 4x4 of the same specs would go for about 10k in my area. Last thing to check would be the tranny and the front end suspension as both of these tend to start failing at about 100k. Good luck with the truck and sorry I couldn't be of more help!

Old 04-22-2013, 11:39 AM
DonniePalmer

Thanks for the quick reply! The truck is a bit pricey com paired to some areas because its at a dealer and I live in upper peninsula MI. We have no market to provide us with lots of options. The truck is spotless though and is loaded to the gills. Being a Laramie it has leather...power everything.... navigation...... and chrome accents like door handles grill inserts and such. It has nerf bars and a ton eau cover as well. This awd thing is the single turn off to the truck but its so immaculate I don't know if I can pass it up. I need some more opinions guys so anyone else please feel free to jump in and give some advice on this awd business!

Old 04-22-2013, 11:31 PM
08HEMI1500
Record Breaker
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Personally I wouldn't mind at all having a AWD Ram. But then I'm a guy stuck with a lifted 2wd itching to go offroading but I'm limited as to what I can do lol

Old 04-23-2013, 12:42 PM
jnellydodge
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had an 04' Laramie QC 1500 4x4 regular transfer case. My uncle has an identical truck with the awd transfer case. We bought them at about the same time. Never an issue with the transfer case in either rig. It is a solid case. I traded mine in with 120k and he still has his. I think he was probably 140k on it now. As long as the front end seems tight and you like the truck I wouldn't worry about the awd. Mine needed new tie rods at 100k. The mileage thing isn't going to be a dramatic difference. Its a hemi ram, its not going to get good mileage anyways. Price is a little high but given your situation if you like the truck and it checks out mechanically I say go for it. Good Luck!!!!

Quick Reply: NP244 equiped AWD ram opinions