3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Truck left me stranded at the gas station

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2014, 09:40 PM
SteveR
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Truck left me stranded at the gas station

Nice and cold here these days! It was -31C this morning and closer to -26C this afternoon when I wanted to use the truck to pick up some gas for the snow blower. The truck wouldn't start, just lots of clicking from the starter. I put it on the charger for a couple hours and fired it up after supper no problem. In the past the truck would start when it was -35C without being plugged in...

I was eventually able to plow the truck through the snow bank I wanted to use the snow blower on and got onto the road. The truck was idling at about 2500 RPM when I got to the gas station so I turned it off as I was concerned that that was way too high. At this point the truck had been running for about half an hour and I was wondering if it was a good idea to turn it off...sure enough it would only give me some clicks when I went to start it after filling the jerry can.

I tried boosting the truck at the gas station but it was hopeless so I called a friend to see if he could help. He informed me that his car wouldn't start either so I ended up having to walk to his place and boost his car with his booster pack. After letting his car warm up for 20 minutes we drove back with the booster pack to boost the truck. It fired up right away but now I have ABS and Brake Lights on. What a pain...I shouldn't have bothered trying to get the snow blower running. Actually, it never did start because it was too cold out for it too.
I'll wait for it to get back up to -15C before I bother fooling with the truck again. I have my car which is my daily driver.
Cheers, Steve

Old 01-02-2014, 09:49 PM
MoparPaul
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Plowing through that snow bank probably packed snow into your rims tripping your abs sensors. Battery (depending on age) or alternator probably toast.

Old 01-03-2014, 09:00 AM
team_realtree
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've got similar temps as you and my truck barely started this morning. Time for a new battery maybe.

Old 01-03-2014, 09:34 AM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

When my old battery was very weak, I had a few lights on as well. Once I replaced the battery, all was good.

I also had the airbag and ABS lights on when my aftermarket remote start module was having issue's.

The fact you were able to use a jump pack to get it going suggest a good alternator. Now, it could be failing to produce the needed voltage at lower rpms in the severe cold..I dont know. I would have them both checked out.

btw. there is a battery temp sensor under the tray as well...It changes the charge of the battery as well depending on the heat(pretty sure thats how it works)

Old 01-04-2014, 08:10 PM
SteveR
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The alternator is definitely working, it was just that the battery was borderline and the couldn't keep the starter engaged. I'll start the truck up once a week from now on to make sure its battery is OK, it just happened to be untouched for a couple weeks because of Christmas.
It came all the way up to -6C today so I boosted the truck again and let it run for an hour and a half while I ran the snow blower. The ABS/brake lights went out but now the upper radiator hose clamp is leaking...is this truck German? It sure requires a lot of maintenance...
Cheers, Steve

Quick Reply: Truck left me stranded at the gas station