3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Best Bang For The Buck Hemi Performance???

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2014, 12:35 PM
abarmby
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check this out on another site.
Look at his mods.
Al

Old 04-30-2014, 02:17 PM
Izero
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

His mod list is exactly what I told the guy to do... minus drag radials....

Old 04-30-2014, 02:45 PM
Old Man with a hemi
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JoshSlash87
First off his model of Beamer isn't more powerful, It has 355 Hp, 360ft lbs of torque 10 more Horsepower than my Ram and 15 ft lbs less Torque than my Ram in stock trim (my K&N intake is dyno rated at 11hp gain, so I have the horsepower numbers back in my favor) and we all know that TORQUE moves vehicles. Second of all, his BMW X5 is a SUV and weighs in at 4900lbs without a driver, I would say the math is starting to make this race look like a good one. I think I have more than a fighting chance, but I want a half seconds worth of performance goodies to make up for any driver error. Even if I have to spend a grand or so, its worth it to shut this dude up.

The only real advantage is that he has a 6 speed transmission over my Dodges 5 speed, so I'm looking for a few mods to cancel out that advantage. Now can we get back on topic for mods, good proven tuners & bigger throttle body??? anything?. If you met this guy you'd want to stomp his $60,000 Beamer and his face too!. I have money to throw around, thats not a problem..what are the best mods?.

Plus my buddy raced him in 2nd gear from 40mph, probably the worst place in the powerband to race a hemi truck, I'd have done first gear 30mph and ran it out to 50, but honestly 0-quarter mile is where I think I'll have my biggest advantage...4x4 take off and shift out of it at 25mph, thats better than any traction control the Beamer could dream of. I paid $3000 for this truck and you can bet your *** it won't take me $57,000 to buy a half seconds worth of performance gear just to ensure a win.

I'm thinking about a bigger throttle body and sct tuner to start off with. I'd even go as far as to NOS it in 2nd gear, I'm a cheater so what lol. This is a guy who screwed me out of $300 when I rebuilt his daughters motor for her car, his cheapness is such that $200 means more to him than it does to me. I want to win.

I disagree about 15.2 being slow for a 4x4 truck that weighs in at 5300 lbs, 90% of the vehicles in traffic can't even hang with me when I'm passing and its only 4 tenths slower than a Ford Eco Boost Twin Turbo Truck. The other day a 70s Corvette tried to race me from the stop lights and I smoked him by 5+ car lengths, also a few 90s camaros & mustangs have fell victim as well. Google Gtech acuracy in regards to wheel hp & quarter mile times, its very acurate as long as your weight you type in is acurate...(hence my junk yard scale weigh)

Don't believe me...read the other posts. I gave you the best bang for the buck, then you stated that you'd spend a GRAND to win this race. A Grand wont even get you in the ballpark against that BMW. How old are you. because it seems to me that you're making 16 yr old decisions without any knowledge of what power costs, or what makes a car or truck quick. If you knew those things you wouldn't be asking us. This is my opinion and I'm allowed to have one. By the way....I seriously doubt that 2004 Hemi is making the advertised numbers as if it were new either....but then again...you have your K-N....lol

Last edited by Old Man with a hemi; 04-30-2014 at 02:50 PM.
Old 04-30-2014, 03:24 PM
chuck_hammer
Veteran

to double your speed you need 4 times the power... known fact..

to double your power.. you need twice the cost of a new engine...

to drop 1/2 second in 1/4 mile with a 5,000 pound truck.. you need easy 50hp...
and a really good race driver.....

go home.

my opinion.. and costs nothing.

Old 04-30-2014, 03:43 PM
abarmby
Champion

Originally Posted by Izero
His mod list is exactly what I told the guy to do... minus drag radials....
Yep.....
He sure as heck ain't gonna' do it with. $1000's
Al

Old 04-30-2014, 03:47 PM
Izero
Champion

He'll need about $5000 if he does all the work himself... if he hires out I'm guessing upwards of $8000.....

Old 04-30-2014, 05:04 PM
Easy_e
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think the quickest and cheapest way to beat the BMW is adding NOS.

The thing is most people who add NOS have already gone the conventional route of adding CAI, Exhaust/headers, Tuner, Gearing, Cam Etc.

Old 05-01-2014, 01:56 AM
JoshSlash87
Captain

Originally Posted by Old Man with a hemi
Don't believe me...read the other posts. I gave you the best bang for the buck, then you stated that you'd spend a GRAND to win this race. A Grand wont even get you in the ballpark against that BMW. How old are you. because it seems to me that you're making 16 yr old decisions without any knowledge of what power costs, or what makes a car or truck quick. If you knew those things you wouldn't be asking us. This is my opinion and I'm allowed to have one. By the way....I seriously doubt that 2004 Hemi is making the advertised numbers as if it were new either....but then again...you have your K-N....lol
As your name says, you're an old man with a Hemi and you probably drive like it too, you're probably like the many old jerks that hold up the passing lane joy riding with one hand on your pecker and the other holding onto your dentures. I'm 27 and have been wrenching on cars since I could walk, what I wanted to get from this thread was an idea of what it takes to make a 5.7 Hemi equiped Short Box Ram run a modest 14.5-14.8 quarter mile, maybe it was more, maybe its less than I expected, either way I wanted to test the waters from some guys who have possibly done it, not sit here & have big brother tell me what to do.

When I said I'd drop a grand, I meant NOS & Superchips. People like you years ago on this forum used to nay say about me wanting to put a mitsubishi TE04H turbo from a 2.5 Chrysler on my Neon, and I made that car run high 13s for less than $500 in raw meterials slapped onto a car I bought for $150 and used as my daily driver!. For the record, I don't give a flying F*ck what power costs because I am frugal & smart enough not to buy the first damn thing that pops up for sale or is available.

Old 05-01-2014, 02:08 AM
JoshSlash87
Captain

Originally Posted by Izero
First off the 2011 X5 didn't come with a 4.8L V8
He's got the 4.8, he popped the hood for me and I seen the engine cover, so he's probably lying about the year of his Beamer. I drove the thing before and it seems pretty decent, I think my Hemi has a shot at it though.

355hp BMW vs a 345hp Hemi (The Hemi has more torque than the BMW too!)

The X5 weighs in at 4900 lbs and my Hemi truck without me in it is about 5100 lbs.

Now with power & weight so close why is everyone making this out to be akin to going to the moon? I honestly think if I get superchips, headers,steel 16 inch rims (instead of my 20s) near empty tank and clean my truck out of the tools I threw in it I'd have more than an honest shot without spending thousands of dollars.

The only thing the X5 has a clear advantage on is the 6 speed trans. One more gear. Power to weight ratio is very close between the two.

Last edited by JoshSlash87; 05-01-2014 at 02:20 AM.
Old 05-01-2014, 03:20 AM
abarmby
Champion

Go do it and post up the video
Al.

Quick Reply: Best Bang For The Buck Hemi Performance???