3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Hemi "TICK" GONE!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2016, 05:56 PM
jfotsch
Professional
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Hemi "TICK" GONE!!!

Have owned this truck since the summer of 05. At 30k I remember it had some of what I call "engine noise" with conventional but when I changed over to Mobil 1 10w-30 it ended up having the emphamous "hemi tick". Have been running the same oil since 2005.
Truck has 99k. I live in vegas and 115 in the summer is standard hence the 10w-30. It is about to be winter so I thought I would swap out to 5w-30 and changed it to Royal Purple with a RP 20-253 filter. (been running Mopar 090).

It's a miracle!!! Even when she is cold NO TICK!!!!!!!
I am a firm believer now that Mobil 1 causes the ticking sound.
Was looking at Amsoil but for 16 a quart I will just stick with RP.

You long time Hemi owners think it will come back?????
Has it ever gone away on a fresh oil change and then start coming back?

OEM off-road 17's, BFG-LT's, Airraid CAI, Cortex 3950, Magnaflow y-pipe, Detroit True Trac rear locker, Mag hytec trans & rear diff., SRT a-pillar w/autometer trans temp., 190 t-stat, cross-drilled/slotted front/rear.

Old 09-13-2016, 11:25 PM
Chet Ubetcha
3rd Gen Ram Moderator
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Lots of folks here have reported Royal Purple diminishing or temporarily eliminating the tick (including me). I wouldn't necessarily say M1 causes the tick, but it is all-but-scientific that certain oils seem to exacerbate it while others quiet it. I've used RP 5w20 for most of the truck's life and can't complain. It does seem quieter (especially on a fresh change) with RP over Mobil 1. If you changed brands and weights at the same time, I don't necessarily think you can call it one thing or another.

Old 10-30-2016, 10:53 PM
jfotsch
Professional
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Smile

Well Chet Ubetcha you were absolutely correct!~

It was a short-lived excitement, the tick is back but nowhere near as pronounced as before and it seems to disappear after warming up.

I did notice another 04 hemi the other day that does not tick at all while I was having my rotors turned. They were having the oil changed and I asked the owner who said they always put whatever bulk oil is on sale.
SAE oil did not have mine ticking until I changed over to the synthetic.
Well, at least I know the engine life is extended by using the higher quality sythetics.

Thanks again for the info

Quick Reply: Hemi "TICK" GONE!!!