3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Looking for advice on tonneau cover with ladder rack

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2018, 10:44 AM
charnol1
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for advice on tonneau cover with ladder rack

Hi all - think this might be my first post but I wanted to get some wisdom from those of you with roll up tonneau covers as it relates to the system I'm trying to set up.

I've been running the Tracrac g2 sliding rack system on my truck for years now - which I love and was pretty pricey and I'm not looking to buy a new rack system . The way this rack system works is that there are rails on top of the bed rails that the rack slides on top of. Example:
https://www.etrailer.com/static/imag...r-rack_644.jpg

I want to add a roll up tonneau cover, but I'm trying to figure out how to make that work. The problem is that the truck's bed rails aren't parallel - but the tracrac rails need to be. The width of the truck's bed rails at the front of the bed is wider than at the back of the bed, so the tracrac rails at the front of the bed extend into the bed by an inch or so, while the tracrac rails at the tailgate are able to be flush with the bed rails. So if I were to add a rollup cover, I'm concerned that when I'm rolling the cover up, when I get to about halfway, the rolled up cover would start touching the tracrac rails and I wouldn't actually be able to roll the cover all the way up.

What I'm hoping someone can help me understand is how do the roll up covers handle this situation where the front of the bed is wider than the back of the bed on these trucks? Is the actual cover square and the velcro rails the cover attaches to are wider at the front of the bed? I've specifically been looking at the truxedo lo-pro cover, the lund genesis roll-up, and the proZ proroll since these are covers that appear to sit inside of the bed rails instead of on top.

Quick Reply: Looking for advice on tonneau cover with ladder rack