3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

2003 Dodge Quad Cab Reviews

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2019, 02:16 PM
Shelbie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 2003 Dodge Quad Cab Reviews

I am looking at a 2003 Dodge Ram 2500 (V8, HEMI, 5.7L ) Quad Cab ST Pickup 4D 8 ft. Truck has minimal rust on bottom of the tailgate but is otherwise clean. Interior is clean other than some cracking in the dash. Shifts into 4WD easy, no rust on rockers/cab corners, and runs great. It has 183k miles on it. I know the transmission is always in question, but other than that issue all I've found on the professional review sites is a recall on airbags and interior (dash specifically). Just wanted y'alls thoughts on it since this is the first vehicle I am purchasing. Thanks in advance!!

Old 11-29-2019, 03:15 PM
rebeltaz83
Veteran
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I've got an 05 slt 5.7 4x4 qc/sb with the nv4500 5 speed, 83,000 miles. I've had no trouble with it in the 6 years I've had it. I'm getting ready to put greaseable U-joints in the front. They are known to wear out, but I heard the greaseable last longer. What are you planning on using it for?? It's a slightly rough ride for a daily I usually run around 45psi. In the front, and 40psi in the back empty. Depending on what kind of load I have I'll adjust my tire pressure accordingly. It's a 7,000lb truck, Do you know what gear ratio it has?? I have 4.10s makes it great for towing/hauling. My boss has one with 3.55 ratio and all he does is complain about how much of a dog it is. But if your not gonna do much towing/hauling it'll be ok. My rockers and cab corners are rotting pretty good, I'm gonna get after them in spring. It's my first qc truck I never was fond of 4 doors on a truck, but they grew on me. The extra room is nice, my wife and I go from SC to upstate NY once a year about 1,200 Mile round trip. We trailer or motorcycles up (1,500 lbs.) Plus a bed full of clothes, and whatever else we take up. Put the 3 dogs in the back seat. So the extra room in the cab is great. Never had a problem on the ride up or down. Usually get around 12.5mpg pulling the trailer. Empty I average about 13.5-14 or 11 depending how I drive lol. I've gotten 17 mpg a few times, but you really gotta be light footed. Worst I got was 7mpg but I was pulling a 30 foot tri-axle enclosed car trailer up a long steep grade coming back from NY. I was in 3rd gear with my foot pasted to the floor running 70mph. Pulling that I averaged 9mpg for the entire trip. But still didn't have any problems, temp. gauge never moved. It's been a really good truck. But I take care of it. Regular oil changes, I grease it every oil change. Keep the fluids topped off, keep the air filter cleaned (I run K&N in everything I own) cleaning kit is $10 I buy 1 a year. Cheaper than buying 6 different air filters. It'll be a good truck, just gotta take care of it.

Last edited by rebeltaz83; 11-29-2019 at 03:19 PM.
Old 11-30-2019, 12:36 AM
Magnoom
Record Breaker
Received 216 Likes on 196 Posts

As long as you don't want to modify it (performance wise) it's a good truck.

Quick Reply: 2003 Dodge Quad Cab Reviews