3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

02 dodge ram 1500

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2022, 08:59 PM
cottondiane049@gmail.com
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 02 dodge ram 1500

I just bought this 02 dodge ram 1500 5.9lt a couple days ago. The A/C compressor went out on the way home. I need to know how much oil to put in to IT? PLEASE HELP ME

Old 06-27-2022, 07:04 AM
ol' grouch
Champion
Received 582 Likes on 527 Posts

Originally Posted by cottondiane049@gmail.com
I just bought this 02 dodge ram 1500 5.9lt a couple days ago. The A/C compressor went out on the way home. I need to know how much oil to put in to IT? PLEASE HELP ME

When you say the compressor went out, did it lock up or just quit working? With the engine off, if you can grab the clutch and spin the compressor, it didn't go out. You may not need oil, but instead you may need refrigerant. Your truck is a left over from the 2nd generation Rams. I have the same set up. You can get a self recharge kit at auto parts stores. R-134 systems are fairly easy to recharge. For a little under $50 you can get a can with a gauge that will charge your system. The connector will snap onto the low side a/c hose. It will ONLY fit that connection. Hook it up and start the engine and turn the a/c system on. If the pressure is low, the clutch won't engage. Pull the trigger on the charging can and hold it. The system should engage after a bit.

You do NOT want to put all the refrigerant into the system. When the system is working and the gauge says it's at the right pressure, unhook the charge can. If you have a small leak, you my need to charge again down the road.

Quick Reply: 02 dodge ram 1500