3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Under truck protection.

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2011, 05:06 PM
Senomar_DTK
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Under truck protection.

Has anyone used anything to spray or apply to the underneath of the truck and frame to stop rust and protect it? I want do that before this winter.

Old 09-06-2011, 11:47 PM
xtremekramer
Rookie

I have Zeibart under body protection and diamond coat on the paint on mine. Since I had it put on when the truck was new it has a lifetime warrenty against rust and paint fade as long as it gets the yearly check up. Not sure if its really worth the money or not. The check up is like $136 which includes a respray underneith and a new diamond coat wax.

Old 09-07-2011, 05:39 AM
stenerson
Veteran

I been spraying fluid film. My undercarriage and frame is pretty clean/ rust free. I do have that rust over the wheel wells.

Old 09-07-2011, 09:41 AM
nateroach
Veteran

POR 15 is a popular product for frame protection. It is a paint product that can go right over rust and provide good protection. they do make it in a spray (chassis coat black) which would be somewhat easier to apply than by brush. The only downside that I have read is that it is a messy job, but I don't know what product wouldn't be messy to apply under a truck.

nateroach

Old 09-07-2011, 11:47 AM
klruff1
Rookie

When I bought my 2005 Ram QC Daytona a few months ago, the undercarriage had lots of surface rust. I took the truck to my friends shop, we put it on the lift and went to town with wire wheels cleaning everything off including the driveshaft and sprayed the entire undercarriage with "Rust Bullet", pretty impressive (and expensive) stuff. Check it out, I think the URL is www.rustbullet.com I would recommend it.

Old 09-07-2011, 05:20 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

I bought rubberized undercoating from Eastwood. It's a Petroleum based product not waterbased. 4 qt sized cans did my entire undercarriage with 2 nice coats. I definately covered more square inches than ANY dealer or ziebart would do hands down.
I did this to my truck when it was brand new. Actually, I didn't drive it until I coated it so the paint needs to be pretty clean or you may get peeling. Also, if you have rust, it is a petroleum prosuct so it will help the rust from expanding.

As stated above, if you wanted a cheap salt solution, grab a couple cans or penetrating oil and go to town! Do that once a month and your undercarriage will be rust free for the most part. There are areas that get hit pretty hard with slush and will enevtually wash the P-oil away. I wouldn't do this if you cared about your driveway though as you will have all kinds of oil drips in the springtime.

Ziebart would be my #1 reccomendation for aftermarket spray solution done by professionals. The dealer would be my last. My father got his done when new at the dealer and they barely srpayed anything underneath...on both vehicles so he got ripped for $600each..dumbass

Actually my last solution would be buying canned stuff from Advance auto or Pecker boys. That stuff is junk. The spray cans they have by 3m is much better than the canned/quart stuff you would spray yourself using a spray gun. That stuff is waterbased and peels instantly.

Last edited by dirtydog; 09-07-2011 at 05:24 PM.
Old 09-07-2011, 09:02 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Old 09-07-2011, 09:28 PM
T-Muns
Veteran
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just sprayed chassis saver on my frame and under the bed. It is supposed to be pretty good stuff so we'll see. I've also heard anything from rubberized spray to bar/chain oil and used motor oil, etc.

Old 10-10-2011, 03:00 PM
Dodge_Ram_3500
Veteran

I paid big bucks for Krown to spray my truck, and it dried up in a couple months. Id suggest "Corrosion Free", most Canadian Tires apply it if your anywheres near one, maybe check the website. stuff is messy though.

Quick Reply: Under truck protection.