3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Engine Check Light

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2007, 09:49 AM
synseer
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Check Light

Looking for some assistance on this matter. Few weeks back I had a cold air-intake system installed; the exhaust pipes were also modified going from a single to dual exhaust at the tips. Works great and have not noticed any performace problems with my truck since it's been in use but the engine check light popped on about a day and half later and has not turned off since. Took it to the dealer and they replaced a hose that had small hole in it. They said that's what was causing the engine check light to come on. Anyway, it's been several days since then and the engine check light has not gone off. I don't notice anything wrong with the truck while it's in operation at any speed but I want to get this light turned off. I read a couple of other threads here where other members have commented that their engine check light stays on as well since making similar modifications. So am I stuck with this light staying on so long as I am using this modification or is there a way I can get it turned off? Any input regarding this matter is welcome. Thanks.

Old 03-30-2007, 09:54 PM
kenihemi
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Engine Check Light

You could reset the pcm and that will shut it off, but if the problem still exists it will come back on.

If it does, you need to get the P code to find out what is causing it. If you don't have a code reader or scanner you can take it to any autozone and they will read it for free.

Old 03-30-2007, 10:49 PM
neveuxpr
Amateur

What size pipe is the dual exhaust after the muffler? If bigger than 2.5 inches or so, you could have opened up the flow too much. Did the dealer reset the light after they fixed the tube? Try resetting the pcm first.

Old 03-31-2007, 02:10 AM
synseer
Professional

ORIGINAL: neveuxpr

What size pipe is the dual exhaust after the muffler? If bigger than 2.5 inches or so, you could have opened up the flow too much. Did the dealer reset the light after they fixed the tube? Try resetting the pcm first.
Pipe size after the muffler is 3" but the engine check light did not pop on until after the cold-air intake system was installed. I ran the truck with the pipe mod for several months with no fault light indications. Dealer has not reset anything yet...going to take the truck to the dealer next week to have them look at that and if nothing else, at least eliminate it as a potential problem.

Old 03-31-2007, 05:52 PM
canram
Rookie

What year is your truck? Depending on model year, you can get the error codes yourself by following the following procedure:
- Get in the cab, shut the door and buckle in
- Insert the key
- Do not crank the engine, but turn the key On-Off-On-Off-On-Off within 10 seconds
- The fault code will flash in the odometer (mileage) readout, or it will say "Done" if no error codes are recorded by the ECU
- Multiple codes will appear one after the other

Go to http://www.allpar.com/fix/computer-codes.html and see what the code means. Or post it here and we'll try and solve it for you [sm=smiley1.gif]

Quick Reply: Engine Check Light