3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

02 Ram 5.9 valve problems

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2007, 10:09 PM
iusuallydriveVWs
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 02 Ram 5.9 valve problems

I've had a misfire for a few months now on my 2002 Ram 5.9 4x4 with about almost 74k miles that i've been trying to fix, it comes and goes. The fault is always the same, cyl #8 random/multiple misfire. So I pulled my plugs and checked my cap and rotor, and sure enough they all looked worn enough to probably be the originals. So changed them all (with factory parts purchased at my local Dodge farm) and even changed the cyl #8 plug wire, and the fault still persists. So I called the dealer to ask them what they thought, and before I could even finish my story the service guy said that it's probably because of bad valve seats, or something of that nature, it's quite common on 5.9 engines of that era, and they keep lots of new heads stocked in the parts department. Thing is, they said they usually see it around 100k miles or later, I'm just about to turn 74k, and this has been going on for pry about the last 3-4k miles. I bought the truck used in great condition, and I bought an extended warranty so I should be ok, but it's still a major PITA. Plus I think my rack and pinion is leaking too. Anywho, does anyone else have any experience with this problem? Thanks.

Mike

Old 04-02-2007, 11:52 PM
iusuallydriveVWs
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 02 Ram 5.9 valve problems

bump

Quick Reply: 02 Ram 5.9 valve problems