3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

hemi thermostat change?

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2007, 10:07 AM
helopilot
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: hemi thermostat change?

Uhhhh....did you guys notice the date on the original post? 3 years ago

Old 11-21-2007, 10:39 AM
Pappy_FB
Record Breaker

Damn Helopilot,
Good catch!

Thats funny I don't care who ya are.

Old 11-21-2007, 11:42 AM
tdmopar59
Grand Champion

lmao... o well... it happens! at least some1 finally used the search option! (kinda)

Old 11-21-2007, 09:37 PM
MikeHTally
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Happens to me all the time! I don't look at the start date. Thinking that if it has no contributions in six months or so, maybe it should be trashed.

Old 11-19-2019, 08:33 AM
BigMike123
Default Cold Truck

I have a 2007 Dodge Ram 1500 with the Hemi V-8 and I am having an issue with keeping the cab warm. I just had the thermostat changed, the radiator and heater core flushed and fluid changed. The vehicle will warm up and when I look at the "temp gauge" it barely makes it to the 1/2 way point and immediately drops to the 1/4-1/3 point. It will continue to do this as I am driving, approximately every 2 minutes. The heat coming out never really gets "Hot", just "Luke Warm". Should I have them change the thermostat again? Maybe a bad one?

Old 11-19-2019, 09:56 AM
FaceDeAce
Veteran
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by BigMike123
I have a 2007 Dodge Ram 1500 with the Hemi V-8 and I am having an issue with keeping the cab warm. I just had the thermostat changed, the radiator and heater core flushed and fluid changed. The vehicle will warm up and when I look at the "temp gauge" it barely makes it to the 1/2 way point and immediately drops to the 1/4-1/3 point. It will continue to do this as I am driving, approximately every 2 minutes. The heat coming out never really gets "Hot", just "Luke Warm". Should I have them change the thermostat again? Maybe a bad one?
Your problem is wrong temperature T-stat installed. Insist on an OEM or Stant at stock temp of 203 degF. Please avoid being swayed and disillusioned by any other temperature offerings or discussions thereof. I prefer to do the T-stats myself so I know with certainty what is installed. Test it in a heating pot of water with a thermometer to verify its temperature before going through the effort and cost of installing it. As some of the off-brand jobbers do not have any markings at all on the part and there is also not 100% confidence that what is in the box is what is stamped on the box. If you have a shop do it, there really is no way of knowing what they actually put in there. My guess is some Greasemonkey in the shop who figures knows better than Mopar snuck a 180/160 in there thinking they were doing you a favour. The performance effect is completely the opposite of expected. Hemi runs like **** at low temperature. The hemi wants and likes 203. Give her what she wants.

(It is also very remote possibility that the system is not fully purge of air yet and there is an air-lock pocket in the cab heater core. But that does not explain the low gauge temperature)

Last edited by FaceDeAce; 11-20-2019 at 06:50 PM.
Old 11-25-2019, 03:09 PM
RamedHemi
Professional
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just installed a new OEM thermostat in my 2008 1500 with the hemi, my temp gauge goes to middle, then goes down to about 3/4 to the half way mark. Bounces back and forth is this normal? Anyone elses do this? I have new fluid, new water pump ,and new rad recently too. Once i been driving a while then it seems to stay at 3/4 to half way. How do you get air out of system maybe i have ?

Old 11-26-2019, 11:58 PM
FaceDeAce
Veteran
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

RamedHemi. What you describe is normal. Those initial temperature bounces will be wider band the colder it is outside. What I see on my 4+ vehicles in the driveway right now .... engine comes up to temperature, gauge goes a bit above normal range, then drops below as it gets a surge of winter cold coolant from the rad as the thermostat opens. The thermostat closes from the cold coolant shock. Temperature goes back up and Tstat opens again, repeats until all the coolant from the is up nearer to operating temperature. It is normal for the gauge to go up and down a little bit, maybe the width of the needle, for about 5 minutes then should be rock solid. The way to completely eliminate this bouncing is to install a SuperStat. I believe the hemi OEM Tstat is already a superstat style.

As for getting air out of the system ... Drive regularly and normally. Turn cabin heater to full heat. A bit of air will come out on each drive. It finds its way out and vents through the reservoir tank.

Last edited by FaceDeAce; 11-27-2019 at 12:05 AM.
Old 11-27-2019, 09:52 AM
RamedHemi
Professional
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

cool thanks for the info! Sounds like she is working like she should.

Old 03-30-2020, 05:15 PM
wild cat
Default 5.7 h

Originally Posted by cdubya
I have read many places where changing thermostats has increased the HP just by reducing the heat. Is it worth it and what temp would you guys recommend? Thanks in advance
by putting in a 180 over the 203 is that will help your car not lose power when it gets hot so you don't gain any power but you won't lose any power when it gets hot like all cars do a car that runs a 203 will lose power before the 180 does it's good for the long runs not light to light

Quick Reply: hemi thermostat change?