3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Transmission reliability?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2007, 05:22 PM
Dan Newby
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission reliability?

I was wondering how reliable the new 5 speed auto is that Dodge puts behind the Hemi? I am thinking about buying a newer truck and currently have a 97 1500 with the 360 and it has the torque converter slippage issue. Hopefully Dodge resolved this problem with the new design.

Thanks,
Dan

Old 04-08-2007, 09:50 PM
canram
Rookie
Default RE: Transmission reliability?

The 545RFE is based on the 545RE transmission which has been around since 1999. In fact, the 545RE would have been the first widely available production 6-speed auto, except the engineers used the 6th gear as an extra overdrive gear. Like the RE, the RFE comes out of the Jeep parts bin and has been used in Jeeps since at least 2004. The biggest difference between the RE and the RFE is that the later does not have support for driver interactive shifting (sport shifting mode).

As for reliability, the RFE is generally considered above average, but a number of people in this forum have had problems after installing an after market computer programmer. I don't know enough to comment on whether or not this is common. For more information, I'd suggest looking at the Jeep section of Consumer Reports or similar to see if what the reliability rating is for the Hemi and tranny.

Old 04-08-2007, 10:05 PM
Ben D.
Champion

That's just it. Peronsal opinion if you put a programmer that modifies shift points and you blow the tranny then that's nto dodges fault that's the owners fault. The dodge five speed is perfectly reliable. I've been on this forum for some time now and I havnt seen too many mebbe one or two issues with tranny where a programmer wasn't involved. Just stay away from tehm devil boxes and you'll be fine. And as for your truck now well it is ten years old so a torque converter issues this late in teh game isn't that bad. So I say get a new one don't worry about ur tranny.

Old 04-08-2007, 11:01 PM
deanj287
Captain

not to bash this site but i have come to find that more indepth topics on all the mechanics of our trucks are found at other sites. the tranny has a weak 2nd gear. thats the weak link. the only fix is a fully built tranny (not needed for day to day driving). other wise stay away from the full throttle runs on the highway. DONT stand on the gas unless the tranny can downshift into first. or unless it can only downshift to third. the forth to second shift is wat blows them. its nothing new either and if you want better shift points get a shift kit for a 100 bucks. many have attested to the sc blowin their tranny . i think its the combo of the SC and the driver how ever. like any car and i mean any, if you flog the **** out of your truck it WILL break some where some how. its not a race car

Old 04-08-2007, 11:29 PM
Ben D.
Champion

^^ another good point. I believe that the issue with second gear came with ppl going from 55 mph in OD and taking the peddle to the floor causing the tranny to go into second which is hard on the transmision anyway but since second is the "weak link" in this tranny it can cause breakage. I thnk that's where the phrase "you gotta pay to play" comes in.

Old 04-09-2007, 01:26 AM
hemiyellow
DC Insider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

canram, actually the 545RFE has 2 second gears...they didnt use the gear for an extra overdrive as you stated.
it has a 2nd gear and also a 2nd prime 2nd gear is 1.67:1 and 2nd prime is 1.50:1
The primary 2nd gear ratio fits between
1st and 3rd gears for normal through-gear accelerations.
The alternate second gear ratio (2prime) allows
smoother 4-2 kickdowns at high speeds to provide
2nd gear passing performance over a wider highway
cruising range.

Old 04-09-2007, 03:43 PM
JimmyDiablo
Champion

So far I have been lucky with my tranny. I have a Superchip "Devil Box" as it was earlier described. I am not always romping or beating teh crap out of my truck, but I do get on the gas when I need to and mine is holding up. While reading the forum I would not mind seeing a more bullet proof tranny however I am happy with mine. 20,000 + miles.

Old 04-09-2007, 10:35 PM
canram
Rookie

ORIGINAL: hemiyellow
[align=left]
The alternate second gear ratio (2prime) allows[/align][align=left]smoother 4-2 kickdowns at high speeds to provide[/align][align=left]2nd gear passing performance over a wider highway[/align]cruising range.
Isn't that behavior the definition of an overdrive gear? I'm confused.

Old 04-10-2007, 01:01 AM
hemiyellow
DC Insider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

no, that is the deffinition of a different ratio 2nd gear to provide better passing when downshifting from a higher cruising RPM...not an overdrive

Old 04-10-2007, 10:25 AM
HankL
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

It says a lot about the 545RFE automatic
that Jeep refused to use it behind the 6.1 Hemi
and went instead with the Mercedes W5A580

It also says a lot that Dodge stayed with the 48RE behind the Cummins 5.9I6
and then went with the Aisin 6 speed automatic behind the Cummins 6.7I6.

Most of the professional transmission rebuilders seem to think that the problems start with the stock factory torque converter in the 545, and the 'torque management' software programming in the 5.7 Hemi PCM is a clue from Dodge engineers that the torque converter can't stand full throttle shifts.

If the three planetary sets in the 545 also has a 4th to 2nd gear flaw that shows up during full throttle shifting, that is the first I have heard about it,
and would appreciate someone posting further details, pictures, etc.

Quick Reply: Transmission reliability?