3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2002 4.7L Tick

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2007, 03:41 PM
tinyfxds
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 4.7L Tick

I've done some searches and have not found much out about my Tick. The tick my engine makes does not happen when I start my truck.I need to drive it a little before it starts. I can't hear it whileI'm driving only at idle or verylow speed 5 MPH or slower.It happens when the engine is hot or cold. Usually a little louder when cold. It comes and goes when it wants. I can be at a stop light and it will suddenly start to tick. The ticking isat a steady pace. It gets faster as you rev the enigne. It is not a series of ticking nor does it sound like it's coming from more than one spot. It sounds like one steady tick.

Hears the wierd part. I can not hear it when I lift the hood nor can I hear it outside the truck. I can hear it prettyclear inside the truck, once the hood is up you can maybe just hear the slightest noise. I can't locate the noise because of this.

I've got Bosch Platinum 2 plugs and a K&N air filter. These are the only two mods I did before the ticking started.

I tried to give you guys as much info as I could and tried to be as clear as possible. Any suggestions would be great. I don't want to pay a 100 bucks just to have the dealer say: "it didn't do it when we looked at it"

Old 04-11-2007, 04:28 PM
Pappy_FB
Record Breaker
Default RE: 2002 4.7L Tick

Hi Tinyfxds,

Things you can try for free:
1. Put the stock air filter back in and drive around, see if tick goes away
2. If #1 does not work put K&N back in.
3. Check glove box for an old pocket watch, if you find one toss it out, check for tick
4. Do this in the drive way, if you know someone with a Stethoscope place it on the top of your Air Filter Box listen for tick. If you don't know anyone with a Stethoscope a drinking glass can be used in a pintch (place the solid side to your ear). ButBE CAREFUL do not let any loose clothing, arms, hands, feet get caught in moving parts. Also you might be able touse some old flexable tubing asa Stethoscope, like a rubber vacuum/gas line.

I'm thinking it might beyour EGR Valve.
I'm sure there will bepeople that are a lot more qualified than I amto answer your Tick post.

Keep us informed

Old 04-11-2007, 06:26 PM
dirtydodge02
Banned

Mine has done the EXACT same thing since I bought it. Since then, I've put on a CAI but think that this has not affected the tick at all. It baffles me that I can't hear it anywhere except INSIDE the cab and VERY faintly underneath the truck. No ideas though...

Old 04-12-2007, 04:27 AM
Pappy_FB
Record Breaker

Bump

Old 04-12-2007, 05:15 AM
tinyfxds
Veteran

Well at least some one else knows what I'm talking about. I was starting to think that I was going crazy

Old 04-12-2007, 06:33 AM
joepascoe19
Rookie

does it only do it when the truck is running or will it do it with the key on
it could be an electronic selonid on the fire wall

Old 04-12-2007, 03:33 PM
tinyfxds
Veteran

The tick only happens with the truck running.

Quick Reply: 2002 4.7L Tick