3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

How to get better mpg???

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2007, 12:26 PM
CarGuyOhio
Admin formally known as 94rt10ohio
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: How to get better mpg???

1. Properly inflated tires
2. Running the recommended octane
3. Keep RPMs under 2500 at all times
4. Keep the cruise on at 60-65 on the highway, not 70+
5. Clean air filter.

Those five things will get you much better milage, more than any mod you can do.

Old 04-16-2007, 01:14 PM
Mystro
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Keeping the tires inflated is the best tip.

Keeping the the tires inflated to the recomended psi is the best way to save on fuel.

Old 04-17-2007, 06:44 AM
TRHemi
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Keeping the tires inflated is the best tip.

Doing the things 94rt10ohiosaid will help the current issue. If you are looking to buy him mod that could improve gas mileage (beware of the lead foot to bad mileage ratio). I would suggest a CAI (appears aftermarket CAI's with K&N filters are best bang for the buck) as well as a cat back exhaust (almost anything except flowmaster for mileage gains). And a superchips tuner.

Old 04-17-2007, 10:36 AM
slt

Everything Ohio said is about the best you can do. Might also try filling tank all the way up (no top offs) ans do it at the crack of dawn. Also when you know you have to stop, let off the gas and coast in. Believe it or not this saves also.

Old 04-17-2007, 04:20 PM
FFMedic1479
All Star

One of the things I have been looking into for buying new tires for my truck is the rolling resistance... some tires have more rolling resistance, thus reducing the MPG. Otherwise, anything you do is all marginal in the gains and the biggest factor in MPG is the driver. I don't know too much on this, but you can buy a vaccum gauge, and install it where you can view the gauge... the longer you spend with the guage in high vaccum, the better your fuel economy is. Kind of a teaching tool.