3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

scratches in paint. help please !!

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2007, 11:02 AM
AU4x4
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default scratches in paint. help please !!

due to my little nephew I now have a few deep scratches in my black '03 ram. Anybody got any suggestions or products that will remove scratch marks ? I think its down to the primer. not wide scratches but noticeable. thanks for the help and suggestions.

Old 04-26-2007, 11:09 AM
darkrt
Professional
Default RE: scratches in paint. help please !!

If its down to the primer, nothing short of touch up or re-paint is going to fix it. Too deep to buff out.

Old 04-26-2007, 11:28 AM
Duso02
Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Doesn't that suck? Been there, done that. If it isthat deep it can't be buffed out. If you are pretty handy both 3m and Duplicolor sell scratch repair kits with everything you need to fix it. You just need to buy the small tube of matching Duplicolor paint to use with it.You might alsowant to check around some paint shops as well. Our black is a real common color that they always have in the shop and I had a guy cover a scratch for me with CC for $20. Price each out and see what the best method.

Old 04-26-2007, 12:37 PM
Night_Runner
Champion

if u know anyone with a porter cable that knows how to use it, have them give it a shot...it wont work if it is down to primer, but why not try if u arnt 100% sure? an orbital wont heat the paint up enough, so that wont work...but be careful with the porter cable, u can burn your paint if u get it too warm

Old 04-26-2007, 04:36 PM
djr04
All Star

I've seen professional body shops heat up the paint just enough with a buffer to get it to fill in the scratch, almost like the paint was bleeding in. I wouldn't recommend doing it yourself though, it's easy to burn paint when you're trying that.

Old 04-26-2007, 05:10 PM
Night_Runner
Champion

ORIGINAL: djr04

I've seen professional body shops heat up the paint just enough with a buffer to get it to fill in the scratch, almost like the paint was bleeding in. I wouldn't recommend doing it yourself though, it's easy to burn paint when you're trying that.
chances are, they were using a porter cable, which is what i was talking about. orbitals, from what ive heard, dont gain enough rotation speed to do this...both, a porter cable and an orbital are "buffers"

Quick Reply: scratches in paint. help please !!