3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

'02 1500 alarm/key/keyless entry question

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2007, 09:04 PM
Idahoser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '02 1500 alarm/key/keyless entry question

I've decided to take it back and have this keyless entry system removed, but I still don't fully understand...

The dealer took it around trying to get the RKE set up for me as part of the purchase agreement. We both agreed it would be best if the factory system could just be 'enabled' and buy some fobs, but the shops keep saying there isn't a factory system... and others say there is, and I don't know who to believe.

It's a 2002 Ram 1500 quad cab SLT with 5.9L, 2WD. I don't have a manual. (That $20 manual from Dodge online appears to be a good investment) I don't know what specific "option packages" were installed, but it has about every bell and whistle I know of-- *** warmers, heated mirrors, both front seats are power, leather interior, radio and CD single player, controls under the steering wheel, adjustable pedals, auto dimming rearview... name it.

There IS an alarm. The first night I brought it home I lost the key, for a while. I called Pop-a-Lock and the alarm went off when they opened it (the key wasn't inside, but I did find it later that night). The alarm is only the horn, no "warble" or siren sounds like an aftermarket alarm. The lights also flash, and continue to flash for minutes after the horn stops. There's a red light on the dash that blinks occasionally, so I believe the alarm is factory.

Okay, so maybe the keyless entry installation was botched, it IS an aftermarket setup... but it doesn't disarm the alarm when you unlock remotely! Open the door, the alarm goes off!

About all I can think of, is that the key really does have a chip in it, and there's a sensor in the DOOR that knows the correct key just opened the door... ?

I only got the one key, I realize I have to go to Dodge to get TWO more (I'm learnin...)

So, what do you think? The scanner shows no RKE (their words... I haven't seen this purported 'scanner' myself... grumble grumble)

If it isn't there, and as the dealer put it last "It was special ordered without it"... can it be added?

The funny thing is I don't really care about the keyless entry. Just seems like with all the other stuff this truck has it just made sense it ought to have that too. The overhead computer menu DOES have a spot for programming them. Would that still be there if there was really no [what, module? what do you call it?]?

Quick Reply: '02 1500 alarm/key/keyless entry question