3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Lifter Noise?

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2007, 03:02 PM
HUTCH
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lifter Noise?

Newbie here. I've got an 02 Ram with the little 4.7. When I crank this thing up cold, it makes the worst "chattering" noise I've ever heard. Sounds almost like a diesel. I've been told it's my lifters. Can anyone confirm that's what it is and make any suggestions as far as how to remedy?

Thanks a ton........RTR

Old 05-04-2007, 06:14 PM
The_Bishop
Amateur
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Lifter Noise?

What oil/filter are you using? A quality filter is a must - If it's Fram, toss it in the garbage. Wix is good, and I think Napa Gold is manufactured by WIX, too.

Old 05-04-2007, 07:34 PM
HUTCH

Always used Fram filters, so that's one hit against me, it sounds like. I used Havoline 10W30 for a year or so, then switched to Mobil1 Synthetic not too long after the "chattering" began. I've ran 2 oil changes through it using the synthetic and haven't seen any improvement. The noise has actually gotten gradually worse. Used to stop all together in less than a minute, now its longer and louder. I'm not much of a mechanic, so I'm a little concerned.

Old 05-04-2007, 10:19 PM
Pappy_FB
Record Breaker

Hi Hutch,

What is your oil level (on the dip stick) cold (has not been running for a while) on level ground?
It might be as simple as adding a half a qt of oil.

If you are worried take it in and have it checked out and fixed.

I hate to say this because I know I'm going to get flammed a thousand times...but you can try putting some Lucas Oil treatment in her, it be some sticky stuff that will stay up top longer than normal oil. You might have to go back to normal oilalso to use it. I can't remember if it works with Synthetic.

I used it in my older used high mileage "get back and forth ta work" car.

I am ready to be flammed now, and I humbly accept my online beattin.

Old 05-05-2007, 02:33 AM
DeWalt378G
Record Breaker

Lucas also has a synthetic additive. You can also find their grade oils on the shelves now.

Old 05-05-2007, 11:08 PM
tinyfxds
Veteran

I've got the 4.7L tick also. It's not loud unless you are in the cab so maybe it's not the same thing you are experiencing. It hasn't gotten any better in the last year. I've switched to Amsoil with their filter and haven't seen any change.

Quick Reply: Lifter Noise?