3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Bad smell from A/C

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2007 | 10:43 AM
Tailbuster
|
Rookie
Default Bad smell from A/C

I have a 2007 Ram 1500 Lariame and just here in the last couple of days I have been getting a strong vinegar like smell when I turn my A/C on. Anyone else have this issue? and if I waste my time going to the dealer are they going to tell me they cant duplicate it.

Not sure if it mattes but it only has 8500 miles on it..

Old 05-07-2007 | 11:28 AM
eltupac
All Star
Default RE: Bad smell from A/C

I have been told that it could the cabin filter, but I dont know if these trucks have them. There is a TSB about A/C smell and they have to clean the whole A/C system. I dont know if the dealer would want to do that. If you are armed with information (print the TSB and take it with you) then I guess they have no choice.

Old 05-07-2007 | 09:05 PM
kenihemi
All Star

You can try spraying some fabreeze or simple green into the intake cowl intake vents (this is where the heater/ac gets the outside air from), The black thing in front of the windshield that the wipers come out of and turning on you fan to recirculate the air.

Old 05-07-2007 | 11:00 PM
KRZY.BMET
Peaceful Browser

Mine has smell as well, but not strong like vinegar. The smell I am getting is more of abreakin smell of the compressor. My truck has 1600 miles on it and I get the smell a couple of times throughout the day, it is not constant. If your is constant, you might have a problem. I wouldn't even know where to begin with a vinegar smell except maybe a cat crawling up under your hood and died. Just a thought, happened to me once. LOL....

Old 05-08-2007 | 11:02 AM
Tailbuster
|
Rookie

nope no cat....lol..... i checked

this only started a couple of days ago and I swear I saw some threads about it before. But the febreeze might be a good idea to try.
Just dont want the hassle of wasting time at the dealer. In my opinion all these Dodge Service departments are crap, unless the part is physically hanging off they can never duplicate an issue.

Old 05-08-2007 | 11:54 AM
eltupac
All Star

ORIGINAL: Tailbuster
Just dont want the hassle of wasting time at the dealer. In my opinion all these Dodge Service departments are crap, unless the part is physically hanging off they can never duplicate an issue.
Aint that the truth.

Mine also smells like cat urine. My wife's also (07 Camry), what the deuce?

Old 05-08-2007 | 01:48 PM
Tailbuster
|
Rookie

well i can see what everyone is elduing to, however this isnt a cat or cat urine smell... its kind of hard to describe.
but the truck is kept in the garage at night and during the day I am in it most of the time, an animal would have a hard time getting to the spot to leave an odorous item and me not knowing about it.

Old 05-08-2007 | 04:29 PM
#Red
Record Breaker

I think there is a link on the dodge web site to search for any TSB with your VIN. You may want to check that or google it to see. With summer almost here, you want that fixed right away. Red

Old 05-23-2007 | 04:41 PM
Sir Hardin Thicke
Record Breaker

I ran mine the first time last week since getting the truck (bought used) and it smelled like an old basement with water damage. My neighbor gave me this to try and it worked like a charm.

Old 05-23-2007 | 04:43 PM
HuntinHanson
Champion

do you just spray that in the vents or how do you use it?

Quick Reply: Bad smell from A/C