3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Rumble BEE slow second gear

Old 09-15-2004, 02:57 AM
pkincade
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rumble BEE slow second gear

We have a 04 rumble bee. We were having problems with check engine light and fuel gauge quit working. So they replaced the electrical brain twice now.

But my question is does anyone else feel a serious lack of power in second gear. The truck pulls strong through first, but once it shift to second, there is quick fade of power. Anyone have similar concerns? It shifts into 2nd about 50 and it feels like 0-50 is as fast as 50-60. It doesn;t cut off, just fades. Is this a gearing issue with rumble bees?

Old 09-15-2004, 06:15 PM
zepp
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Rumble BEE slow second gear

I too have an '04 Rumble bee.

If you engage TOW/HAUL mode, does this power drop go away? If so, then what you are feeling is the "kick-down" gear on second. The 45RFE transmission is in reality a three speed (three-direct drive planetary gears) transmission, with a "kick-down" off the true second gear and an overdrive off the true third gear. It's kind of confusing to explain (and I always seem to screw it up), so Maybe showing the ratios will make it clearer (info from Dodge and other sources concur)...

First: 3:1
Second: 1.67:1 (upshift)
Third: 1.5:1 (2nd kick-down)
Forth: 1:1 (3rd)
Fifth: .75:1 (3rd overdrive)

AT any rate, we all feel some decrease in power...You should feel a slight power loss, though I wouldn't classify it as "serious." However, if you are concerned, I'd take it in for to be inspected for proper operation.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Rumble BEE slow second gear