3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Question for Dodge Techs - 5.7 Idle Speed

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2004 | 09:05 PM
RAM04
Default Question for Dodge Techs - 5.7 Idle Speed

I have an 04 QC Hemi. After reaching normal engine operating temp, my truck idles at 500 RPM in Drive. Prior to reaching normal operating temp, the engine will idle at 600+ RPM in Drive. The Truck idles at 600+ in Park or Neutral regardless of temp. If I engage the A/C compressor, the truck idles at 600+ in Drive. I personally like the way the truck sounds idling at 600+ in drive. I took the truck to a local dealer and asked them to adjust the idle up to 600-625 in Drive at normal operating temp. Upon picking it up, the dealer said they flashed the PCM according to TSB 18-010-04. This TSB talks to MIL On, Multiple EGR DTC's. I have never had a MIL light on since I bought the truck new! My question is, does Dodge give the capability to the technician to tweak the idle rpm within a given range in Drive. I work with Software Engineers and I understand that "gains" can be built into the software which would allow someone with the right diagnostic equipment to change perameters within a set range. My dealer acts like the flash is all they can do. The truck still idles at 500 RPM in Drive at normal operating temp after the flash.

Old 09-15-2004 | 10:22 PM
red shelby z
Rookie
Default RE: Question for Dodge Techs - 5.7 Idle Speed

I haven't heard of the flash, have you tried the throttle calibration trick?

Old 09-16-2004 | 01:17 AM
RAM04

Red Shelby Z, I got the TSB from ALLDATA today. They faxed it over. In answer to your question, no I have not tried the throttle calibration trick, however if you will send me instructions I will give it a shot. What exactly does it do?

Old 09-16-2004 | 08:04 PM
drtelco
Professional

Any information on the throttle calibration trick? Instructions? What exactly does it do?

Old 09-19-2004 | 06:11 PM
red shelby z
Rookie

Sorry it took me so long to get back, hang on and I'll find it for ya.

Old 09-19-2004 | 06:19 PM
red shelby z
Rookie

Turn the key to the run posisition (do not start the truck) wait for all dash buzzers and instrument lights (seatbelt) to go out, then press the pedal to the floor and ease it back to the top now turn the key all of the way off and now your ready to start up and drive. This was posted by a guy at DTW and is suspose to be usable, came from his service manual.

Quick Reply: Question for Dodge Techs - 5.7 Idle Speed