3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

3.9L v6 MODS??

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2007, 02:15 PM
Captain Pioneer
Professional
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 3.9L v6 MODS??

I know this forum is for the 3rd Gen Ram's but since it is v6 specific i figured i'd ask a couple questions...

Ok i have a 96 ram 1500 stick and i love my truck but my MPG and performance sucks *****. LOL. I am not looking to make this truck into a speed demon, I just want some better response from lower and Higher RPM range... as of now it takes for ever to climp to 2200 rpm and dies out at like 4000... Like I said i love my truck but its just terrible when it comes to performance...

What i want to do:

I was thinking about putting a Flowmaster 40 series on it but dont know the size of the tube... also thinking about moving the exhaust out to infront of the tire cause i think that looks cool

Possibly Chipping it but dont want to sacrifice mpg too much...

Maybe a Cold Air Intake??

Any other suggestions... I heard about this "Powerwire" what is that and what does it do?

Thanks guys Im sure u will help me out with what ever u reccomend

Old 09-21-2008, 02:57 PM
mtbnathan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation 3.9 3.9L V6 mods, modifications? THE DISCUSSION STARTS HERE:

I'M LOOKING FOR PEOPLE WITH EXPERIENCE TWEAKING AND TINKERING WITH THEIR 3.9L V6 RAM. The information on V6 Ram modifications, mods, seems sparse on here. I recently bought my RAM. Have had a lot of issues with my new RAM (I'm more of a VW, imports, car guy). I have had a lot of success improving my VW's and the info is plentiful for VW's. VW owners seem (seem?) more organized, and they share info...because they love their cars??

Forgive the capitals (I'll use them to add emphasis to main points); I'm not shouting.

I HAVE A 1998 3.9L V6 2WD RAM w the SHORT BED and AUTO. TRANS. It has a new Carolina Machine Engines Remanf. engine, which got 23 MPG last week. I'm pleased with the early MPG results, but not so pleased with the engine sound at idle and sound/performance at acceleration. NOTE: The top end of the engine is stock with 145,000 miles on it.

I wonder if I need to replace a few things? My guesses (and they are guesses; remember I'm an import guy) are to possibly replace the fuel injectors, the Electronic Control Unit, ECU (or Dodge equilavent), or throttle body. NOTE: the plugs, wires, distributor are new. WHERE MIGHT YOU START? Am I starting where you would, or am I barking up the wrong tree? Remember the truck runs, but not like a clock, real smooth, smooth enough for me. I want this engine "in tune" "purring"...

The distributor and timing where checked and adjusted last week, by a dealership The check engine light had come on; the dealership told me the distributor was the culprit. They said it was misaligned, improperly positioned. They claimed to position it correctly, rechecked the timing, and adjusted the timing. I have since detected a knock, but has been coming and going. I have NEVER detected a knock prior to my visit to the Dodge dealership. I'm concerned about this knock with the motor being new, less than 1200 miles on it. I will continue to look, detect, this knock, but it seems to have subsided for now.

Aside from the normal tuning, I would like to improve the intake and exhaust. I replaced/upgraded the exhaust manifolds on 2 of VW's I've owned; I understand these engines have exhaust manifolds, but headers delete those. Who recommends headers? Would it serve me better to just upgrade the exhaust behind the stock exhaust manifolds?

I'M THINKING OF GAINS IN RELATION TO COSTS. I put a lot of money into my 1987 Jetta, $6000, only to have it totaled by one inattentive driver. I don't want to repeat that financial debacle.

THE EXHAUST SYSTEMS: are there dual exhaust systems available for the 3.9L V6 that I have? I used to have Borla systems on my VW's and they were very nice, good performance and good note/sound. WHO STANDS ATOP FOR PERFORMANCE IN DODGES, OR THE TRUCK WORLD? If not dual exhaust, I want to good single exhaust system from a proven leader in quality.

THE INTAKE: A K&N filter in the stock intact box would give minor gains; are their aftermarket intakes for the V6? Who makes them?

THE GEARING: This is a street truck for me; never planning to go offroad. So, would a rear pumpkin gear swap do much? Of a gear change, what might the pros and cons be?

LET'S MAKE THIS THREAD A REFERENCE FOR 3.9L V6 OWNERS. Please don't gripe, or vent. I'd like to make this a useful concise source for information on improving our trucks.

-Nathan Tock

Quick Reply: 3.9L v6 MODS??